CHAPTER: 68 | THE ART OF LETTING GO (PART-14)

Start from the beginning

And Laiba was grateful to Habeeba for pretending like she didn't just share the heartwrenching story of his cousin just an hour ago.

It made things less awkward between them.

Aariz was blessed with a good family. Laiba thought as she watched Habeeba and Maha rest their heads on each other's shoulders and sleep.

They reached the Othman House around 2 in the noon. The familiar gothic iron gates were pulled wide open for them by two guards in uniform, revealing the beautiful lawn spread before them. Their cars manoeuvred over the cobblestone pathways towards the marvellous-looking building standing sturdily at the centre of the lawn.

The rich aroma of fresh greenery and the sweet scent of flowers mixed with the petrichor greeted Laiba as soon as she stepped out of the car. A lazy breeze kissed her skin and the grey clouds hovered overhead.

The car doors were popped open and shut with a thud. One by one, they all gathered in front of the building. They stood with a huge grin plastered on their face, watching the Othman House in all its glory.

"We are home!!!" Burhaan, Maha and Essa exclaimed before racing towards the entrance.

The elders guffawed.

"Slow down, Essa. You will fall." Habeeba ran behind her younger brother.

Zara Othman and Umme-Zeeshan chuckled, falling behind them.

Yusuf Othman and Zeeshan kept their distance as they walked silently inside the house, followed by Urooba, her husband and Mehek.

The husband and wife lost in their world with their child.

The ones left on the lawn were Shah and Aariz, Faheem Othman and Zainab Othman, and Laiba.

Aariz threw his keys at Shah who caught it effortlessly.

"In the garage." He ordered and was about to leave when Faheem Othman stopped him.

"Aariz! Laiba!" He called out, "Come here." He summoned.

Zainab Othman was also with him.

Laiba gulped as she felt her mother-in-law's sharp gaze on her.

Aariz and Laiba went and stood side by side, before them.

The former chewing gum with zero care and the other nervously fidgeting in her place.

"What's up?" Aariz took off his glasses and pocketed them.

"Haider Ahmed is unwell. You both should visit him." Faheem Othman suggested while Zainab Othman only stared.

"She can go if she wants." Came his reply.

"That's not how it works. You both are newlyweds. You didn't have the chance to spend time with Haider Ahmed. He's Laiba's family. He took care of her like a father and was the one who trusted you with her."

Aariz rolled his eyes, "You know I don't like visiting people."

"As I said, he's not some 'people'. He's your family now. You should visit him with her."

"I'm busy today. I have work." He came up with an excuse next.

"I checked with Shah. Your schedule is clear for the day." Knowing his son, Faheem Othman was fully prepared.

"Dad!" Aariz made a face, "I don't want to." He bluntly confessed, without caring that Laiba was standing right there.

"It's okay. He doesn't have to if he doesn't want to." Laiba spoke up for the first time.