One Last Stroke Of Luck (32)

MK pulled away when he heard footsteps down the stairs, taking in a deep breath and hoping how he was shaking slightly wasn't too noticeable as Macaque walked into the room while rubbing his damp hair with a towel.

"Alright. You're up, good. That's me done. Gonna head out now since we're done here." He said, pointing a thumb at the door and MK froze, heart leaping to his throat in panic. 

"Wha- are you leaving?" He asked, breathless with fear and Macaque raised an eyebrow. 

"Yeah, no offense kid but don't want to stay with this idiot any longer than I already have." He huffed and Wukong rolled his eyes. 

"I thought you wanted to kill me? What happened to your revenge or whatever?" He asked and MK blinked at the question, equally interested to know and kinda surprised he forgot that was even why Macaque was here in the first place. 

The older scowled at the question, crossing his arms. 

Yeah well, I figured it wasn't worth my time. Besides, if I killed you, I'd have to babysit the kid and I'm not up for that. Don't fuck up, Wukong." He said, and it sounded too much like a last goodbye that MK sprung to his feet, panic gripping him tightly as he gripped his own arm, feeling hot pain burn at the grip over his wound. 

"Wait-" 

"Hey, maybe we'll see each other one day, kiddo. Try not to die without me, you two." He said, waving a hand over his shoulder and Wukong nodded. 

"You too." Wukong might have been okay with Macaque leaving but MK wasn't, terror racing through him as Macaque turned to leave, waving a hand as he went to the front door and opened it which is when MK finally got his legs to move, rushing after him and grabbing him by the back of the shirt desperately.

"Don't go!" 

"What the- c'mon kid, don't make this any harder than it needs to be," Macaque chided and MK shook his head, tongue heavy in his mouth. 

"No, no I- I need to tell you something. You can't go!" He yelled, breath feeling tight in his chest and adrenaline burned through him at what he was about to reveal, all too aware of Wukong behind them who had followed after MK worriedly. 

The words felt choking in his throat, staring up with teary, terrified eyes into Macaque's confused ones as his mouth opened and closed, breath tight and coiling like a boa constrictor around his ribs as his arm ached. 

"I- I-" 

The sound of something very heavy slamming into something else a few blocks away from them all cut him off, head snapping in that direction as an explosion suddenly wracked the area, fire curling up high enough that they could see it over the houses with the brunt of the explosion. It died down quickly, and MK stared, mouth open. 

"HELL YEAH!" To MK, the yell was quiet, bearly a whisper on the wind considering it must have been a few blocks away but there was something about it that felt... familiar. 

"What was that?" Wukong asked, grabbing MK and pulling him away from the door as Macaque's eyebrows furrowed. 

"Dunno. Can't be those guys from yesterday though." He muttered and MK wondered why he sounded so sure of that as the man grabbed his bat. 

"I'm gonna check it out." He said and as he went to leave Wukong grabbed his arm. 

"Wait, alone? What if it's other people?" He asked, worried and Macaque scoffed. 

"I can handle myself." He said, a little annoyed, and Wukong nodded. 

"Sure, but I'm the one with the gun," he pointed out and Macaque rolled his eyes.