25- End of String

"There you are."

(Name) turned her gaze around, throwing her attention at the man walking towards her and sat down next to her. Her feet soaked within the pond, and her gaze was rather restless.

"You were gone. I was about to send one of my retainers to search for you," the man pointed out. The edge of his fingers brushed against hers. He locked her fingers together, with his thumb caressing her knuckle.

"Did you meet your mother?" The silence between them grew colder, with her lips pursed and unable to speak a word. She only nodded her head, before indulging herself in his embrace. His arms wrapped around her waist, pulling her closer while shushing her tired frame—Ayato soothed her with a simple few words.

His words grew sweet each time, and she felt herself growing addicted. "Mother doesn't seem like she's getting better any time soon." (Name)'s breathless whisper slithered his ears. Like a parasite, her melancholy spread to Ayato as well.

"I'm sorry to hear that." There was nothing he could do as of now, not knowing what else to say to the lady. (Name), however, only nodded her head, despite her heart rejected such words.

Soon after that, her eyes poured into cascading tears—staining his coat. Her restless sobs sounded in the cold air of the night sky, where stars were also confused on how to soothe the crying lady.

She shared him her burden.

****

"I figured you might need some tea to cool yourself off." (Name) placed down a cup of tea the moment she entered his office. After a few years no longer working as his aide, she still could figure out his habits. And it'd become her habit to come and pour him some warm tea.

"Thank you, Mistress. You really know how to appease someone with your considerate self," he thanked her, showering her in compliments as a token of gratitude. The h/c haired lady only shook her head, denying his kind words despite almost falling for them.

"There's no need to praise me that highly, Milord. I'm only doing what I'm supposed to do." Her dismissal still remained the same, and nothing changed from the way she placed down the cup of tea, and how her fingers delicately poured the liquid. If she turned out to be pouring poison to his beverage, Ayato would drink it in an instant.

"You're too humble," he commented, in which he gained no reply but a look from her. Ayato's laughter reverberated from his chest, humoring (Name)'s ears with his melodious voice, though it was only for a while.

"As I was saying, it's about time for you to cool off and pay more attention to your health," she lightly scolded him. (Name) stood up from where she was seated, walking over the table and sat beside him.

"I was hoping you would pay attention to me, yourself," he encountered back. He always knew what to reply, and his lists of replies were never ending. (Name) inhaled a deep breath as she placed her hands on his shoulder blades, working on the knots.

"I worry before we're married, you'd be dead and attached to this table."

He let out a soft groan at her comforting touch on his shoulder blades, relishing in these quiet moments with her together. "You're very skilled with your hands," he complimented wholeheartedly, meaning to have her touched him like this all day. Having a sore body wouldn't be a problem if he could feel her everyday.

However, (Name) didn't reply. She remained silent, her focus intent on giving him a sense of relief. "You're paying more attention to me everyday."

"Is it wrong for a lover to check on her beloved?" she questioned him, which earned a small chuckle. "No, it's not. In fact, I enjoy it a little bit too much."