22- Falling and Behind

"...So, this is how it ends, huh?"

The bustling sound of the boxes rearranged and stacked, people walking in and out of the office soon to be empty and became a storageroom once more, filled the silence between them. Exchanging awkward gazes back and forth, along with small awkward smiles, (Name) took a step closer.

Never once did the radiant of the sunlight outside ever shone this bright, illuminating none other than Ayato. His body leaned on the wall, his shoulders lowered as he breathed out a smile. "I must admit, I'm rather sad to see you leave so soon."

(Name) halted just a few feet away from him. She shook her head to disagree—it was a long time, yet at the same time felt so fast. "It certainly wasn't a long time. But the amount of time we spent together feels short."

"Of course, Mistress (Name)." He smiled, leaving (Name) subconsciously wondering if she could ever see his smile this often. Her contract came to an end, which meant all the arrangements they had together, the time they spent together, words exchanged, felt like a mere dream.

And now, she's about to leave it all behind.

"Where do you plan to go after this?" Ayato took a step closer towards her. His hands side by side, fingers subconsciously fidgeted with the glove's fabric to hold back the urge to touch her.

"I still need to finish my business with my aunt. Perhaps I'll go to the prison," she replied. Her cold tone vanquished the moment he stepped closer, and fresh friendship tied between them. "For your family's accusation, pay no mind for it. I plan to release you from this allegation. I will take responsibility for the damage on your reputation."

(Name) took a step back, to put in some more distance between them—which they'd worked hard to shorten this distance. She bowed down, lower and lower. "Down to the depth of my heart, I deeply apologize."

Only a laugh echoed in her ears, hearty and less melancholic, less lonely as if Ayato had gained a companion to forget his worries. "Thank you for apologizing, Mistress. I appreciate it. We can talk about this later, as for what I want to know is..."

"Let's... talk about this matter, Milord. I swear under my name that I will talk to you honestly."

Ah, how could she ever forget? The words he spoke that sent her heart to a flutter.

"I want to know of your reply. You don't have to reply to me right this instant, I just wanted to remind you."

His cheeks painted a small hue of red, shyness dusting his ears pink—his eyes averted from (Name)'s own e/c ones, unable to come in contact. His usual confidence and unwavering determination couldn't be swayed. Yet, right now, she witnessed how under the name of love and youth, his determination became twice more less unwavering. In fact, it only strengthened him.

"...Ah." Even she was lost at words. Her brain racked the words to say, yet whenever she wanted to bring up this topic in her mind—nothing came up. Only the desire to see Ayato.

"If possible," she cleared her throat. (Name) never knew why people found this hard to be said, when it was only words to be exchanged. Now, as she was facing it, her throat dried out and her heart pounded against her chest—she felt like a teenager falling in love. He had helped her to relive a youth she never had. "...I'd like to have both of us eat miso soup together everyday. Will that be alright with you?"

The blue haired man froze there. He blinked his eyes, bewildered at her sudden invitation. Nonetheless, he failed to contain his calm expression as now his lips spread in a bliss. "Are you suggesting we get married?"