14~ A Glimpse of the Past

Tw: rushed, slight mention of jealousy, a bit of patriarchy comments in the chapter (not too much, just at the end I guess? I don't know, don't remember), not proofread.

Be it marriage, bearing children, or be the Mistress of a house with no more successor, (Name) had obliged all duties thrown, orders and demands made by her family, carrying it out with all her heart. Not a single complaints thrown, a tear shed, or tantrums echoed.

As now with all the servants preparing the best of her looks, searching for the finest silk of a kimono, wrapping her around with the obi to seal the fabric within her little body tight.

"My dear, are you sure of this decision? (Name) is just seven year old, how can we send her off right away?" (Name)'s mother voiced her concern, her hands landed affectionately on her husband's broad shoulders. Yet, the man didn't bother to meet gaze with the woman. "We've sealed our deal long before (Name)'s born. I can sense the Kamisato's potential to strive a better standing within the society, and marrying into their family will bring a greater benefit. We'll be the first to support them—"

"Dear..." the woman protested, holding her husband's face and tilted his face back to gaze back at her. "Have you not remembered of your own sister? She's married off into a family for the sake of yours, forced to bear a child before she could even enjoy her youth."

The pair of (e/c) irises didn't leave the reflection on the mirror while she gazed into the curves of her jaw, the line of her eyelids, and the curve of the lips she'd need practice to smile. While her ears were rising to listen into the conversation of her parents, she attempted to remain calm, despite the trembling of her tiny fingers clutching the fabric.

"It was Shu's duty to carry out, and we were in desperate situation where we need to sacrifice someone," her father dismissed right away, turning his head and so his heels, turning his back against the woman who could only gaze from afar.

Meanwhile, the maids gave (Name) one last brush, a smile snaking her face as she sealed her hair with the hairpin gifted from the Kamisato family. "You look beautiful, Milady."

"Thank you for your compliment," was her only response. Even if the elders favored her looks, she didn't feel... beautiful. The servant took a step behind as soon as the sound of familiar heels clanked against the ceramic floor, earning (Name)'s attention. The little girl lifted her gaze to see her mother's smile reflected on the mirror. "(Name)," she called, despite her disagreement with the ordeal (Name) had to go through, her mother's smile was enough to make everyone forget the circumstances they're in.

"Mother..."

The lady chuckled, her hands smoothened out the bangs covering (Name)'s eyes. Soft slender, dainty fingers stroked the strands (h/c) hair behind her ears. Tender as ever, light as feather, that's just exactly how (Name) remembered her mother to be. "Thank you for agreeing to help out the family."

Behind that smile praised to be an angel's, masked the expression (Name) completely missed out—one belonged to the grief of a mother. "It's my duty, Mother," (Name) replied, hoping to see her mother's smile rose—only for that smile faltered a tiny bit. "You have a great sense of duty, (Name). That is what a lady should have. Although, carrying out a duty won't bring the bliss of what we hoped to give to the people around us."

"Do you... want me to be a troublemaker?" (Name) inquired, tilting her head in a confused manner. All her life, she was told to carry out her duty, to help her family, support her family, marry into a family, and give birth to a great family—all about family.

The woman reverberated a chuckle, one that left (Name) addicted to hear more. "No, sweetheart. Though, being a troublemaker is also a good thing to do every once in a while as well. You're still a child after all, a baby to my eyes," she whispered, yet it echoed in (Name)'s ears, repeated like a record.