8~ Surprise

The day went on quiet.

Serene like the scenery bestowed by the world for gazes to be casted upon. The lady drew out long gaze, dropping her gaze at the horizon of the sunset, gaze leaked with something alike longing.

She'd lost count how long had she been staring at the window without making any move, or any sound at all. Only just drawing out her breath and let her heart beat against the tea's waves.

To anyone outside, she may seem like just staring out at the people of the Kamisato Estate. Though, in truth it wasn't the people she watched, but the memories playing in the back of her mind like a movie.

"Miss (Name)," a deep voice called out, carefully snapping (Name) out of her trance. She turned her head to look at Ayato who had been watching at her for as long as she realized. "Yes, Milord? Is there anything I can help you with?"

As much as Ayato would love to indulge in her, he remained composed and still. His fingers tapped against the table in a rhythmic pacing. "Miss, come and take a look at the profiles of these people who're employed here. Tell me if any of them is familiar to you," Ayato commanded, initiating her to take a seat in front of his desk.

Profiles laid out on the table, more than three. (Name) nodded her head, walked towards the desk and gave one review of each profiles.

It didn't take long until she placed all of them flat on the desk, tidying up all the mess on Ayato's table. "They're all certainly from my Aunt. Some might be new people I've never seen before, but I've done a few background check. How did you obtain all of these informations, Milord?" she asked, though not exactly curious.

"Let's say I have someone I can rely on," he ended with a chuckle, though it seemed like (Name) knew who that person he meant was. "Miss, will they pose threat to you?"

"Half is passive, the other half might be active. Some will go out their way to harm your people, no more than death—rest assured," the lady replied, eyes not leaving the profiles of the people.

"What should we do, then?"

"Keep these three people," she commanded, three profiles were left and the others were gone, "Interrogate them when the time's right. For now, keep a watchful eye on the rest of the people."

"What else after that?" Ayato inquired, though he knew the answer clearly. His body leaned forward the desk, resting his chin on top of his palm—whilst his lilac pairs gazed at her careful words. She continued to explain, speaking her mind, which each and every words she spoke—he listened.

"Is there anything else I can do to help you?"

"You can—," she cut herself off, looking up at him, finding the distance between them only grew a little bit closer. Ayato leaned in forward, seeming intrigued by the sudden pause of her words. "Is there something the matter?"

"...No, there's nothing. As I was saying—"

Knock knock

Gentle knock rang out loud in the office, cutting their conversation short. The door slid opened, revealing the familiar blonde man (Name) knew too well: Thoma, walking into the office. He offered a bow of greetings before taking his position next to Ayato and whispered something into his ear—leaving her to wonder, what was so important that she, as his personal aide, was left in the dark?