6~A Stranger

"My child, you must grow up to be a dutiful wife, marry a powerful husband, and make sure to still take care of our own clan."

Words, promises, and innocent oaths were spoken. Innocent as she was in the past, she nodded her head eagerly with an excited smile. "Of course, Mother! I'll be a good daughter for you and Father. I'll marry a good man, and I will love my husband—but I'll also love you both too," (Name) chimed in, voice as light and untainted by anything in life.

She was just a child.

A child who knew nothing.

Her mother's lips lifted to a satisfied smile, her hand traced a circle on (Name)'s cheek. "A good child you are, my dear. You will grow up to a be a fine young woman."

.

.

.

"Mother..."

A weak voice rumbled from (Name)'s throat, eyes half awake with half of her consciousness drifting as she tried to keep herself awake. Dreams that all felt too real and warm luring her to fall into temptation of slumber, the only realm where she could see her mother smiling like that.

She let out a small sigh, sitting up from the desk the top of her body laid on. A burning sensation made through her limbs as she stretched her body, relieving some tensions on her muscles. Soft yawns escaped her lips no matter how much she tried to hold back.

The scent of books stacking on the table waiting to be reviewed, paper and countless scrolls on her desk as the brush had accidentally stained the corner of the paper. 'No, I mustn't sleep. The earlier I finish this, the earlier I get to return and meet Mother,' she convinced herself, pinching her skin lightly.

Even if the day had yet risen, she must finish her duty—even if it meant having to sacrifice her sleep.

****

Tick tock

The sound of the clock chiming in the ghost quiet room where a mere heartbeat could be heard in (Name)'s ears, filled in. Rustling paper noises sounded in the serene atmosphere, only the two of them—(Name) and her... (not exactly wanting to admit) lord: Ayato.

"Hmm, this is impressive, Miss. You've collected enough materials to present for the meeting this afternoon. You did a great job at acquiring informations," Ayato complimented, stacking the paper and tidying them up. His fingers made one last skim through the paper, before he clicked his tongue in amusement.

"Of course, efficiency and work performance has been my priority in making sure the 'lord' I serve is pleased," she spoke, hinted with a tiny hint of sarcasm with the "lord" part. Not the glares or annoyance anyone would be expecting, it's a chuckle she gained from Ayato. "It still feels peculiar for us to play servant-master, Miss."

"Believe me when I confess this is... quite humiliating. Even if we have formed a temporary alliance, it feels wrong still to serve you."

Ayato shook his head in disagreement. "Remember we're bound by contract. You gain the benefits, and I will gain it as well. It's a win-win situation, no?"

Even if she were to say another word, she could not find a word to refute his words. So the only thing she'd done was stay quiet, cleared her throat, and lifted another paper. "You have not eaten dinner, have you, Milord?"