7~ Mother

(Name) sat down on the chair in front of her desk, sighing heavily from the short walk she had. Her muscles seemed to relax once she sunk into her chair.

Her fingertips tapped on the desk, forming a small rhythm of her heartbeat which to the trained ears, people could hear the taps strung into a melody. As much as she tried to calm her heartbeat down, how rapid it was, or how limp her knees became, she could not find a way to calm such ecstasy swelling in her stomach.

Not when the memories engraved in the back of her mind replayed beyond her wills.

A moment ago...

"I appreciate your hard work in obtaining these pieces of information I needed," (Name) said, voice low and careful as her fingers traced a circle on the folder's folds. She carefully examined the cover, not aware she was being gazed by a pair of lilac eyes.

Eyes that snuck glances whenever she was not looking, leaving a soft quiet sigh that's left unnoticed.

She looked up to meet Ayato's gaze, catching him watching her movements, though she was unaware what peculiar looks she received. "Is there anything I can help you with?"

"Nothing, Miss. I'm simply curious to see your reactions. Is this information to your liking?"

She trailed her gaze back to the folder, nodding her head. "It is to my liking, Milord. Thank you for your hard work, in return I'll improve my efficiency in work as your aide."

He nodded his head approvingly, a smile painted his face. "Then I'm more than happy to see you from here on out."

(Name) glanced up at him once more—and somehow, the night seemed to stop. A smile she'd never seen in anyone's face as a politician, could she finally see as Ayato himself. Unknowingly, she felt something within her chest beat faster, fingers fighting back the urge to see more of his face.

How weird.

He was her enemy. She's only forming a temporary alliance with him. If her theory served her right, that she was starting to open the locked heart, then she's in great trouble.

Perhaps it's the moonlight outside that seemed to get brighter, gleaming the content of the Kamisato Estate, showing her some specks of dust laying on Ayato's frost blue hair. Perhaps it's by the wills of the world, she let her urge to raise her fingertips, raising them to remove some specks of dust that were actually... invisible, from his hair.

"There was something on your head, Milord. Forgive me for my impudence."

He shook his head, stretching his fingers to hold back the urge to gently grab her wrist and bring her hand close to him. "You don't have to apologize, Miss. In fact, it's shown through your actions that you're considerate enough to take care of me."

'And by any means, please don't stop.' Words were left unsaid from his lips, preferring to keep them unsaid—even if he felt like it'd leave a little bit of regret to him.

And once they reached their destination, (Name) took a step behind. "Have a good rest, Milord."

"Oh?" he spoke, "isn't this your room?"

"What do you mean—" She took a second to look around, opened the door and found that it was indeed her room. "...I was meant to walk you back."

"Perhaps you need to be more careful in the future. In case anyone else might lead you to the otherwise," he replied with a confident smirk making its way. A sly one indeed. The lady only remained silent, sighing, "Next time, I'll be walking you to your room. For now, I'll accept this courtesy. Thank you, Milord. Have a good rest on your way back."