"how is he?" dale asked as he got out of the rv, joining everyone.

"he'll pull through. thanks to hershel and his people. and shane." lori replied with a small smile.

dale smiled back and brought rick in for a hug, the others hugging lori in relief. "we were so worried." carol sighed.

"how'd it happen?" dale asked.

"hunting accident. that's all...just a stupid accident." rick told them.

lydia felt a bit bad when she realised all the rocks there were collecting was to make a gave for otis. they all stood around it together as hershel put on a suit and spoke for them.

"blessed be god. father of our lord jesus christ. praise be to him for the gift of our brother otis. for his span of years, for his abundance of character, otis, who gave his life to save a child's, now more than ever, our most precious asset. we thank you, god, for the peace he enjoys in your embrace. he died as he lived, in grace."

"shane, will you speak for otis?" hershel asked the man who looked slightly guilty.

"i'm not good at it." he replied quietly. "i'm sorry." he whispered.

"you were the last one with him. you shared his final moments. please." patricia sobbed, "i need to hear. i need to know his death had meaning."

"we were about done. almost out of ammo, we were down to pistols by then. i was limping, it was bad. ankle ball swollen up. 'we've gotta save the boy' . that's what he said. he gave me his backpack, he shoved me ahead. 'run' he said...he said 'i'll take the rear, i'll cover for you' and when i look back—he..." shane trailed off, shaking his head.

"if not for otis, i'd have never made it out alive. and that goes for carl, too. it was otis. he saved us both." shane continued again, looking at patricia. "if any death ever had meaning, it was his."

patrica nodded through quiet sobs as shane limped over to put a rock on top of the grave.

"HOW LONG has this girl been lost?" hershel asked them all as they gathered around the police car.

"this'll be day three." shane replied.

"county survey map." maggie walked over, spreading open the map as they glanced at it. "shows terrain and elevations.

"this is perfect. we can finally get this thing organised." rick raised his brows as he scanned the map. "well grid the whole area, start searching in teams."

"not you. not today." hershel replied. "you gave three units of blood."

lydia's eyes widened in shock, "three units?" she echoed, "what's carl's blood type?" she asked curiously.

"a positive."

"man, why didn't you ask me? i'm a positive too. saves you from getting your blood drained." she scoffed as rick sent her a slightly annoyed look.

"you could've mentioned that earlier?" he sent her a look.

"i didn't know you were transferring blood." she argued as hershel eyed the two of them.