Darius, who had donned my sweatpants and t-shirt, looked like a deer caught in headlights while wearing weirdly proportioned clothes. He looked at me for help but I too was shocked to my core by this level of generosity from my mother.

"Oh come on now, don't be shy make yourself at home." She said, eagerly seating him on the table.

She then put a bowl of poha infront of Darius and stroked his hair affectionately.

"I hope you like it Darius, I've prepared this specially for you." She giggled earnestly, and later fawned over Darius, fixing his t-shirt, combing his hair with her hands and commenting on how he was so thin and wasting away.

Darius on his part looked stumped. While I'm sure he's faced many terrifying opponents, an Indian mother he was no match for.

Especially when she's trying so hard to appease.

My mom was a formidable woman who was always accustomed to getting her own way. While it's true that such displays of affection and love aren't out of place coming from her, she's never appeased us like this. She'll love you, fiercely so but she isn't the type of mom to carry you on top of her head as a prized possession. She'd never hover over any random person like this.

Moreover, I shut the door right in her face last night and she hasn't yet reprimanded me for it.

Yup. Something is fishy.

Mom was simply being TOO NICE.

I sat down next to the unassuming Darius who was completely lapping up everything she was throwing at him, like a little schoolboy hungry for motherly validation. She told him how handsome and well-behaved he was, and "oh your food is getting cold, you should it up fast."

Wait why am I holding two bowls if she already has one laid out for Darius?

FUCK.

Darius was about to oblige and dug in for one spoonful of Poha, when I knocked the spoon out of his hand. I had to drop the two bowls I was holding in the process, which spilled their contents on the floor.

"Jai! That's rude." Darius chided, turning to my mom to offer his supplications for my behaviour before bending down to clean up the mess I made.

But I didn't care.

I was busy staring at my mom, who stared back at my expressionlessly. Her eyes were guarded and gave no hint of what she was feeling. Why was she so tense? It's just breakfast.

Unless it's not.

Is it mother dearest?

"Oops I dropped my bowl. I'll just have some from Darius' bowl." I said moving towards Darius' bowl but not breaking eye contact with my mom, who suddenly looked visibly upset and uncomfortable but kept her composure.

"This looks so good mom. And healthy too." I goaded her, she said nothing but stared at me intently, anger clearly rising in her face.

"I'm soooo hungry." I said before bringing a spoonful of poha upto my lips.

"STOP. JUST STOP OKAY. YOU WIN" Mom said before snatching up the bowl in front of me, while also knocking out the spoon from my hand. Poor spoon getting knocked about Willy Nilly today.