Chapte 34

Nyx's POV

"Why must you defy me this way Nyx?"

My body went limp as Darius' wrapped one hand around my waist and holding my jaw in the other. His Alpha was very powerful and consequently affected me greatly. My body froze completely refusing to move by my will.

"Nyx" Darius said softly as he kissed the solitary tear that fell from my eye. "Don't cry baby."

I couldn't even if I wanted to. I had been crying non-stop ever since I re-discovered Darius that fateful day and all my memories came rushing back. Of our past lives. Of our past matehoods.

Wolves are magical spirits that cycle through birth and rebirth attaching to a human every cycle and that's how werewolves are born. Unlike popular belief you cannot turn someone into a werewolf. Once a spirit is attached to a new human their memories are erased, and they start off a completely new life. When they find their mate however, the memories are restored, all those feelings and emotions accumulated through years come crashing onto them. That's why wolves are so attached to their mates, it's a relationship that's centuries old and therefore tightly binds two werewolves. That's why mates can jump multiple steps in a new relationship and settle into familiar patterns, everything fits in because it's been settled from the centuries we've spent together. That's why the urge to be with your mate is is this palpably strong desire that you cannot avoid without physical pain.

Darius grabbed my hand as my back rested on the tree and brought it up to kiss it.

"Your human is scared. I get it, but you shouldn't have let him run away this easy Nyx." Darius said in a firm voice before landing a kiss on forehead and caressing my back.

If he only knew the truth.

"My Nyx. My eager and beautiful Nyx" he cooed as he bent down to kiss my mark. Energy zapped through my body as soon as his lips made contact with my skin. The pleasure that ran through me, softened my resolve.

I loved Darius I truly did. Even now, even after everything. All the hurt, loneliness, pain, suffering. I still loved him. But being with him isn't easy. He's a powerful Alpha spirit and the human vessels he's attached to are driven mad by his power. I could sense from the moment I met him that Dominic struggled to carry his weight. What ends up happening is the human finally cracks and takes the domineering part too far.

And I end up at the receiving end of it.

It happened with my last human Maria, who was one of the gentlest souls I had ever encountered. Unlike Jai she was shy and reserved, so much so that I felt protective over her. When we found Darius in the form of Antonio, she was overjoyed. For years everything was fine, until Antonio became too domineering. He locked us up in our bedroom and placed a collar on my neck because "no one could touch what was his". He loved us immensely and made every effort to show it off, with gifts, kisses, hugs, using the gentlest of voices with her and of course making love to us but the isolation and total loss of control got to Maria. Nevertheless we persevered, convincing ourselves that Antonio's love was enough. That we weren't in a toxic relationship. That nothing was wrong.

The breaking point came when we lost a pup. Maria slipped into a deep depression and Antonio driven mad by Darius took to abusing us. Desperate to put another pup in there, to recoup what he had lost. Darius is a very possessive and emotional spirit, which is sometimes good because he loves intensely but he cannot deal with loss. Maria was totally broken, but even in her sad state she couldn't bring herself to blame her mate. Her true love. Her sweet Antonio, he loving Darius. The father of her children, the man who had given her the best years of her life. Made all her dreams come true. The man who the goddess had personally chosen for her.

So she blamed me. She cursed at me for causing her miscarriage, berated me for the pain Antonio was causing her and the constraints society placed on her. She cut me off almost entirely. She never turned and refused to let me out, even to talk to Darius. Darius for whom I had become an afterthought after our fourth pup didn't care anymore unless it was to satiate my heats. My best friend Maria, with whom I had the tightest bond had completely turned on me.

And she wasn't the first one.

The same cycle repeats itself every time. Before Maria it was Xuan. Before her it was Phillip. Before him it was Jhelani. And the list goes on and on.

Every time I got mated to Darius, the cycle was the same. I forgave him for his past transgressions and hoped that things would go differently. That this time he'd stick to his word. That this time my human would understand who it was hurting them instead of blaming me for being an Omega. That this time I wouldn't be left completely alone and shattered. But it never happened.

Which is why this time even if it kills me, I'll get Jai out of Darius' clutches.

I still love Darius and probably always will. Staying away from him would sap my energy, weaken me to the brink of death even. But Jai would be safe. Free to do what he wants, not trampled under the thumb of a "true mate" who cannot love without complete ownership. Who cannot process his feelings without inflicting hurt. I cannot lose Jai like I lost the others. I refuse to be the victim again.

So I decided to walk out.

So much for that.

My knees gave in as my last reserve of energy was extinguished trying to keep Darius at bay so I let him in. I brought my hands upto his neck and kissed him deeply. Putting all my emotions and anxieties into that kiss. I grabbed his collar to steady myself as he held me so tenderly.

It felt so good to be kissing him. My skin tingled and every cell danced in pleasure. He grabbed my jaw to gain more access, and it felt heavenly. The way he'd totally take control and hold me with such ferocity. I was madly in love with Darius and being with him now reminded me why, cause of his intensity.

But it is this intensity that causes me pain.

If I couldn't escape the flame I might as well enjoy it before it incinerates me. Like a moth, I'll dance around it in awe till it consumes me. Not because I love it but because it's in my nature.

I'm so sorry Jai.