Chapter 37

Nyx's POV

I'm sorry Jai. I tried.

Were the last words I spoke to him before I broke open the seal on the barrier keeping our memories separated.

Jai's eyes widened in shock as he clutched his chest, as my emotions crashed over him like a wave. All my core memories, of the lifetimes spent at Darius' mercy, the good the bad the ugly revealing themselves to Jai all at once. It happened so swiftly that all I could catch were glimpses of what was flashing infront of Jai's eyes.

I saw my human, Maria locked up in her room with a collar on her neck at the height of the troubles. She sat calm and composed with bruises on her face and arms. Antonio had been excessively aggressive in his reaction when she had expressed a desire to go out and visit a nunnery nearby. Despite her serene face, her thoughts were full of vitriol and poison towards me. Her anger and constant words of consternation reverberated in my mind.

I rue the day I was paired with a weakling like you Nyx. You're the one thorn in my perfect life.

Next, I could see Xuan on her deathbed. A room full of Chrysanthemums, just like she liked it. Her breath weak and strained. Darius was away on a war he and his human, Yonan had waged to conquer a small forest. We hadn't seen him in a year, and despite being informed of Xuan's failing health he had not considered returning and abandoning his vanity project. Even though our life had been full of joy, her last moments had been painful. I felt such grief over her demise, all she wanted was for Yonan and Darius to come back and had she been an Alpha maybe her voice would have carried more weight to those around her.

Then I saw Philip, who took out his anger on me when our mate Luis had rejected him for being an Omega. Luis was an especially nasty human, having found old dark magic to strengthen Darius' Alpha and sever our emotional bond. Phillip was hit hard by this, especially because magic runs stronger in Omega blood. Rejection from your mate could affect any wolf but Omegas are the worst sufferers. Separation from Luis had driven Phillip mad with constant bursts of pain and despondency, and I became his target of choice. The one person who he could feasibly hurt and feel better. He took to burning himself with wolfsbane just to cause me pain, his hatred for me went beyond any considerations of self preservation.

He did this to me because of you. I hope you burn in hell Nyx.

When he wasn't devising ways to hurt me, he pined after Luis, longing to be reunited with him. His prayer came to fruition when Luis kidnapped him from his parents' home to keep him as his personal concubine in his palace. Even though the bond may be severed, it's physical effects continue to linger. So Luis was still attracted to Phillip but felt no remorse or responsibility towards him. Phillip and I spent the rest of our days at satiating Luis' and Darius' devious appetites with little to no regard of our own well-being. This was the darkest time of my entire existence, and although it wasn't Darius' fault because he was under the influence of dark magic, he had never ever expressed any contrition for his actions. Eventually driven to the tipping point, Phillip ingested a whole vial of silver killing me, as he lay hurling abuses at me for the nightmare that his life had become.

I turned my face away. I couldn't see them again. All those faces of humans I had let down because I was their wolf. Jai was still frozen in his place, a terrified expression plastered on his face as my memories ran through him. He let out a blood curdling scream and scratched at his own face as a response to the pain that swept through him.

This is why I didn't want to tell him everything. I knew, to truly understand my predicament he would need to feel the extent of hurt Darius and Dominic were capable of inflicting and I didn't want him to go through that. But I had a second more selfish reason.

I didn't want to lose the only friend I had.

His scrams died down as he collapsed on his news and fell square on his face on the ground. I could gather from his exhaustion that the process was complete and now our memories were fully blended. He knew everything about my past, which now painted a pretty terrifying picture of his future. I prepared myself for the same treatment I had received from others. No one could feasibly put up with all this. Not even Jai.

"Nyx" he said in a soft voice getting up from his feet.

I'll miss you Jai.

Whatever you do, know that I don't blame you.

"Nyx. Speak to me" he demanded.

"Yes" I said in a voice that could barely conceal my wavering spirit. I knew any moment now he was going to put me through the same shit as others had for centuries. I was just focussing on steeling my resolve to take the hurt. I was going to be lonely again, so I needed the practice.

I emerged in my wolf form infront of him in his mind, which I had shared for about 22 years now.  I had shared such sweet memories with him, fighting together, loving together, crying together, laughing together. I always felt strength from Jai in our relationship. We were one entity, and our synergy was unmatched.

But all of that was about to change.

He got up from his knees and run towards me. I stood there not knowing how to react. Before I could do anything he wrapped me in a tight embrace that nearly knocked the life out of me.

"I'm so sorry Nyx." He broke down sobbing into my fur with his arms wrapped around my neck. "I had no idea."

"I didn't know you were dealing with so much. Nyx you've always been such a pillar of strength for me, I never knew you had all this burden to carry around." Jai said.

I nuzzled my snout into his hair as I tear escaped my eyes. I hadn't realised that I was keeping all this pain, without release in me. Trying not to burden Jai with all this.

"I know you've been keeping all this to yourself because you were trying to protect me from going back into the same cycle but honestly Nyx you should let it all out. I can handle it. WE can handle it ok?" Jai said stroking my head softly.

I could no longer stop the sob that escaped my lips as I released my pain for once, and fell into Jai's arms crying. I didn't want to hurt anymore. I didn't want to feel like an afterthought, banished to be used whenever Darius deemed fit. I wanted to live a life that was on its own worth living, not only if I had my mate. I wanted Darius in my life, I did but on my terms.

"It's fine Nyx. A broken heart takes time to heal my friend, remember? You were the one who told me that." Jai said as he sat down and put my head on his lap.

I hope the bond doesn't get to you, I hope you still stand beside me.

"I am never going to leave you Nyx. Especially not for a boy. No matter what happens I told you, I'm not ashamed of you and I'll not let you get hurt ever." He said running his hand through my fur and patting me softly to sleep.

"You've done so well Nyx. You tried your hardest to save us. Now you should take a well deserved rest. I've got it from here."

"Jai. It not that I doubt you but the bond can cloud your judgement, making you incapable of hating your mate, no matter what they do to you. You'll also end up like the others, despising me." I said matter-of-factly. It was nice that Jai wasn't hating me from the get go but the bond can seriously mess up your emotions and feelings, making you love and adore your mate with fanatic devotion. All my humans before had fallen prey to it. How could Jai possibly avoid such a fate?

"Nyx I'll never despise you ever. I mean it from the bottom of my heart so you can rest assured about that. I'm never ever leaving you." He said planting a kiss on my skull and stroking my fur in a way that soothed my anxieties over this situation. I knew how powerful a mating bond can be especially in its effect on an Omega, but something in Jai's voice had such finality, such conviction that for a moment he gave me hope that this wouldn't end up like the others.

Please don't give me false hope Jai.

"Fuck all them Alphas Nyx. I'll make everything better don't worry. We will be with our mate, but it'll be different this time. I promise". Jai said.

"How can you be so sure?"

"Because I plan to walk Darius like the dog he is." Jai smiled.

Omega Chronicles: Bite Me!जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें