Ch. 14: Casting Curses

Song for this Chapter: Tell Me I'm A Wreck - Every Avenue

"Elle." A man whispered in my ear and I backed away from him. At first I was going to trade his chocolate mine for my pet dragon, but now that I knew his voice was so girly I was having second thoughts.

"Elle!" He shouted at me and I began to walk away from him. What a weirdo. "ELLE! WAKE UP!" 

      All too soon, the swirling fantasy of chocolate fields and tiny dragons washed out of my head and I scrambled up from the safety of my four-poster bed. I floundered around for a moment before I realized I was at Hogwarts, and Jenna was hovering over me, her grey-blue eyes twinkling with amusement.  

       I could tell, by the pale blue light peaking delicately through the glass window panes, that it was way too damned early!

       "What the heck, dude?" I whined, flopping back down to my cushy bed and glaring up at her through the cracks in my fingers, as my hands made feeble attempts to block out the devilish sun rays glinting through the Gryffindor Tower's windows. Every fracture of glass panelling sent a dagger of sunlight into my corneas. 'Cursēd Tower! ' I thought darkly to myself.  

      Jenna shrugged and scratched at the back of her neck. "Well, you wouldn't wake up and Hermione asked me to tell you that 'If you don't get up soon, you're going to be late'," She sang Hermione's line in a soft, melodramatic British accent that sounded muddled. 

     I took a moment to appreciate her soft blonde curls, pulled into two buns at the side of her head. It should have been serving me Princess Leia, but... it worked. 

I looked down at myself and saw that I was back in my bed, wrapped tightly in my blankets. I have no idea how I got here. I pulled out my uniform and suited up quickly. Once I had pretty much gotten everything that I needed, I looked down at my pocket watch. Yes, I do have a pocket watch and yes it is pretty amazing.

      I read the time and shrugged. School began at 9 in the morning, and it was only 7. Hermione was over-reacting!

"Huurrrryyy uup, Elle! I'm staaarriiiving!" Jenna whined and threw herself against the door frame, pitifully rubbing her flat stomach.

I rolled my eyes, but grabbed my book bag and slung it over my shoulder. "Psshh Jenna you're always hungry."

     "What are you trying to say?" 

     She looked so offended that I couldn't help but laugh her off and change the subject. "Hey, where is Lana?"

"Ohh, yeah she went down to breakfast already with that one kid." Jenna and I hoped out of the common room entrance and began to make our way to the Great Hall. "The one who was...Irish?"

     "Er...Seamus, right?" I shook my head at the thought of Lana. She was already meeting new boys. "Figures."

      "Lana's lucky guys like her so much!" Jenna pouted as we flounced through the Great Hall doors; her eyes travelled over to the Slytherin table, where the Durmstrang boys were staying. 

I sighed and put a hand on Jenna's shoulder and guided her to the Gryffindor table. "Come on, Hungry. Time to eat."

      I plopped down in a seat that Hermione and Lana had saved for me and snatched an orange off of a plate on the table. "So. What do we have the first block?" I jammed my thumb into the top of the fruit and tore at the peel, getting annoyed each time the peel snapped off suddenly, and not peeling in perfect rows.