Take Care, Grandson. 1

"Just promise me, you'll take care of my grandson."

July 2014 - Crest Hill, Chicago

Karin Jacobs | 19

"Making my way downtown
Walking fast, faces pass and I'm homebound
Staring blankly ahead
Just making my way
Making a way through the crowd
And I need you
And I miss you
And now I wonder"

As I loudly sung along to the iconic " A Thousand Miles" song blaring through my 2012 Audi A6 car speakers, my phone started ringing.

Thinking aloud as I prepared to answer my phone, " Its mad early son."

Rolling my eyes, I pressed the green phone icon and waited for the call to connect.

"Hello?"

"Well Good Morning to you too girl. You got the email?"

"What email?" Confused at Dess, one of two of my roomies / co-worker.

"We got a returning inmate today so boss wanted everyone assigned to his case to stop by for a meeting."

"Mmcht, we don't officially start shadowing until Mondayy. This nigga that important bro? What he do? Im starting to rethink this job for real."

"Im sayin'. Check the email and imma see you there."

"Ight."

"Yeah."

Pulling over while turning down my speaker, I grab my phone from the doc. Scrolling to my emails to check out what Dess was talking about, clicking when I see "URGENT*."

A

A.N: I edited tf outta that email @ 1:50AM. YUH, Ask about me 💪🏼

Sighing in defeat, I clicked off the email and went to my Maps App Icon, and clicked "Work."

"There goes my morning workout."

I was stationed in Illinois, 1hr away from Chicago about 3 weeks ago on an externship, majoring in Psychology for Criminal Justice. I graduated as Magna Cum Laude so it was no surprise one of my many applications got accepted immediately and things were looking up. We got a deluxe apartment in a suburb of Illinois called Crest Hill. We live conveniently close to the town, and work is about 30 minutes away.