⁶². 𝑀𝑒𝑎𝑛𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑜𝑓 𝐹𝑟𝑖𝑒𝑛𝑑𝑠ℎ𝑖𝑝

Mulai dari awal

(Y/N) knew this wouldn't last forever, so she blurted out. "I'm scared, okay?"

When Pepper opened her mouth to comment, (Y/N) held her palm out to quiet her down.

"Wait, hear me out. Please."

Pepper took this as a signal to sit back in silence, encouraging (Y/N) forward on her words. (Y/N) knew there was no escape out of this, so she might as well get it over with. She passed her hands through her face with a groan, not wanting to say anything but being forced to by the look on Pepper's eyes.

"There have been so many close calls," she finally confessed. "So many to count with one hand. Some irrational part of me tells me that if I officiate this with him, it would set a curse."

"What do you mean?"

"Nothing good ever lasts, well, for me at least. I'm scared to lose him. And I'm scared of what it's going to become of me when that happens."

"Oh, honey."

Pepper grabbed her chair and scooted it closer to (Y/N)'s, arms touching against each other before she wrapped her arm over her shoulders. The blonde pulled her closer and while doing so, rubbed soothing patterns on her arm. It brought a sense of comfort to (Y/N), who avoided eye contact and preferred to stare at the ground instead.

"Don't plant your life into 'what if's'," Pepper began, still rubbing patterns up and down her arm. "That's never good for you. Focus on your present instead. Of course I can't reassure you that nothing will happen, I don't have that superpower. Enjoy all the moments you might share with him and the future you'll have together. Whether it's 5 years or 50."

"And talk to Tony about it. Make sure you come to an agreement," (Y/N) raised her head from burying it in Pepper's embrace. "In the end, if you decide it's better to call off the wedding, it's okay. I'll just have to return my maid of honor dress to the shop."

(Y/N) couldn't stop the snort from leaving her lips. She stared into nothing for a couple of seconds, trying to figure out what to respond to Pepper's extensive advice, but no words came out. Instead, she turned back to face her.

"Thank you, Pep," she squeezed her hand. "I'm glad I talked to you."

Pepper shook the compliment off with her hand. "That's what I'm here for."

(Y/N) reached for her cup to bring it to her lips for a sip, but she was interrupted halfway when her cellphone rang inside her purse. She frowned, not used to anybody calling her at this time of the day, especially now. When she rummaged through her bag to find it, she saw that there was no caller ID, and rather an unknown number. The curiosity got the best of her, so she excused herself from the table to answer outside.

She barely made it out into the cafe's garden before she pressed on the green button on her phone and brought it to her ear. She was running her head through different people who might be calling her, yet none where the person was calling this time.

"Hello?"

"Is this Miss (Y/N) Vaughn?"

She frowned at the sound of her name leaving their lips. "This is her speaking, what happened?"

"I'm Dr. Highland from Parkside Hospital," the last words made her tense, thousands of possibilities hitting her at once. "You're listed as an emergency contact for Maria Rambeau."