40.

Harry stood concealed beneath the Invisibility Cloak, his disbelief mounting with each passing moment as Beck conversed with Mrs. Weasley. Beck maintained an air of casual charm, presenting himself as if he had a legitimate reason for being there.

"Mrs. Weasley," Beck began with a charming smile, "I can't thank you enough for inviting me over. I had such a lovely time with Hermione last night at the Ministry Ball."

Mrs. Weasley returned his smile warmly, her curiosity piqued. "That's wonderful to hear, dear. Were you Hermione's date for the ball?"

Beck chuckled, his demeanor seemingly genuine. "Well, you see, Hermione and I met quite late in the evening, and it was a bit of a whirlwind. We had such a great time that she asked me to meet her here today so we can get to know each other better and plan a proper date. In fact, I had something special planned for today. Is she getting ready or...?"

Harry clenched his fists beneath the cloak, his frustration growing by the second. Beck's audacity was infuriating, but he had to maintain his composure, watching and waiting for the right moment to gather information about Hermione's whereabouts and alert the others.

Mrs. Weasley nodded, though she appeared slightly confused. "I see. But I'm afraid Hermione isn't here today, dear. She didn't mention this to you? She had an unexpected family event, a funeral, I believe. In fact, she didn't even return home from the ball; she went straight to the family gathering."

Beck's confident facade, once so meticulously maintained, appeared to waver for a fleeting moment. His charming smile gave way to a look of confusion, as though he were genuinely puzzled by Mrs. Weasley's revelation about Hermione's absence. Harry watched with bated breath as Beck's expression shifted from one of composure to one of feigned concern.

"Oh, I see," Beck replied with a furrowed brow. "That's unexpected. She didn't mention it to me at all. I hope everything is all right with her family. I just wanted to surprise her."

Harry's invisible presence bristled with tension as he continued to eavesdrop on their conversation. Beck's lies were like venomous snakes coiled beneath the surface, waiting to strike. Mrs. Weasley remained unaware of the sinister truth lurking beneath Beck's facade, and Harry felt a growing urgency to uncover the extent of the deception.

It sickened Harry to the core as he realized the depth of Beck's malevolence. This man, who sat before Mrs. Weasley with false charm and innocence, was responsible for Hermione's disappearance and suffering. Harry couldn't fathom the depths of cruelty it took to deceive a loving family, to relish in their panic and heartbreak while finding solace in their sadness.

Mrs. Weasley's concern was palpable, etching lines of worry onto her motherly features. "Yes, it was quite unexpected. Hermione didn't want to bother anyone. She's always been so thoughtful."

Beck nodded in apparent understanding, though his eyes darted around the room as if he were considering a swift exit. "Of course, I understand. Family comes first. I suppose I'll have to catch up with her another time. Thank you for letting me know."

As Beck made his preparations to leave, Harry knew that he had to act quickly. Time was slipping away, and the urgency of the situation pressed upon him. He needed to follow Beck, gather vital information about Hermione's whereabouts, and, above all, ensure her safety. The complexity of the situation was far beyond what he had initially imagined, and he couldn't allow Beck to escape without revealing the truth about his malevolent actions.

Remaining hidden under the Invisibility Cloak, Harry waited for the opportune moment to make his move. As Beck nodded to Mrs. Weasley and rose from his seat, Harry seized his chance. With a quick, calculated movement, he reached out and grabbed onto the hem of Beck's attire, ensuring that he would be apparated alongside him. Harry's heart raced with a mixture of determination and trepidation, hoping against hope that this daring move might lead him to Hermione's location, where he could finally put an end to her torment and bring her back to safety.