Reveals and Requests

Rumplestiltskin had thought he would need to wait till Monday to get himself out of jail. It wasn't like he couldn't afford it. So, color him shocked when the morning following his visit from Regina, Sheriff Swan unlocked the cell door.

"Letting me escape? How daring." he said. Emma scoffed.

"Please, I'd happily let you sit behind bars for a good while longer. The look suits you. Unfortunately, someone paid your bail. Looks like you have friends after all."

"Who?" he asked standing up.

"Anonymous. The only thing they said was to pass this on." Emma held out a piece of paper to him and he saw to his surprise that it was a passage from Alice in Wonderland with a print of the Mad Hatter at the bottom. Well, that answered that.

"That clear thing up?" asked Emma.

"Crystal. Though I'm afraid that's my business." he replied. "Might I have my cane now?"

"If you promise not to go around beating up any more innocent citizens," said Emma though she did return it.

"Moe French is far from innocent. But I'll do my best to contain myself." he said dryly. Emma rolled her eyes.

"Whatever. You're free to go." He began to limp away when her voice stopped him.

"That cup you were holding. That's what he stole isn't it?" Rumple turned back.

"Indeed."

"And you got it back right after your little talk with the mayor."

"I think we both know who orchestrated the robbery, Miss Swan." he said.

"But why?" Emma's eyebrow was raised.

"I told you I'm a difficult man to love," he replied.

"No, I get that I mean why beat a man nearly to death over a CUP? I get you being pissed about getting robbed but you aren't the type to just lose it. Not without reason. What's so special about that cup you'd go to jail over it?" Rumple regarded the Savior. Weighing his options.

He was under no obligation to tell her anything and quite frankly he didn't want to. But at the same time a voice. A voice sounding suspiciously like Belle pointed out that perhaps opening up could be a good chance to gain a little genuine trust with the Savior. Something that could come in handy.

He leaned on his cane.

"I'll make you a deal."

"Oh no! I don't want answers that much. I already owe you one favor." said Emma immediately and Rumple chuckled.

"Actually, I think you'll like this one. I'll tell you the story of this cup and afterwards. If you decide that it's been worth it. You tell me the story of that Swan pendant of yours." he watched as her hand flitted to the pendant which he recognized as having once clearly been a key chain. He could see her trying to look for loopholes in his wording. Well, she was smarter than most people then.

"OK fine." Rumple limped over and leaned against the desk next to the Savior.

"Would you believe me if I told you that I was once in love and even stranger loved in return?"

"Oh, so there was a her," said Emma referring to his earlier dismissal of her overhearing him yelling at French. Rumple snorted.

"Yes there was. She was the most wonderful woman I ever met. Funny, beautiful, clever far too good for me as I told her many a time. She was one of the few people who was completely fearless of me and I loved her for it. When we first met I made a...well rather morbid joke and she dropped the cup chipping it. After that I found myself only using that cup. Later she would say that it was a representation of our love. Imperfect but beautiful."