Zombie AU Filler Chapter 4

I take a slow deep breath as I focus on the small group of zombies that we've stumbled across. On any other day, it wouldn't matter if we have to spend a few minutes taking them out, but today isn't a normal day.

The night that Koby was brought inside the walls, he was able to find Ace's signal again using our higher-powered radio. My mother was right there to write down everything he said, knowing that his description of his surroundings is what we'd use in the morning to pinpoint his location. I held Luffy's hand the entire time as my heart was pounding in my chest as hearing my brother's voice for the first time in a long time.

In the morning, Luffy and I returned to my father's office in the community council hall where Nami was already working with various maps spread across numerous tables. It took us all morning to figure out the building that Ace is stuck in with the person he said can't be moved with him alone, and he isn't going to leave them for any longer than it takes to go out and get the little supplies he can find.

With the biggest obstacle now pushed past, we stopped for lunch before my father returned from all his morning meetings. He's the one that determines the groups that get sent out on supply runs, or in this case, a rescue mission. It was a given that Luffy and I would be going, and as each person entered the room that my father had picked, it became clear that he understood how well our friend group could work together.

Nami had to come as the one who can read a map like the back of her hand, and she's the one that knows exactly where we are going. Zoro and Sanji had to come as some of the best fighters in the community. Usopp had to come with his various long-range attacks and distractions. Chopper had to come because he's the only doctor that can get time off, and we need a doctor to come and prepare the injured person for transport. Robin and Franky had to come because they don't go anywhere without each other, and Franky would be needed for his strength in carrying the medical equipment and then the injured person. Which left Brook, and he had to come in case we needed a big distraction for some reason. Thus, our team was formed.

My father then gave us two full days to prepare for our mission. We'd need to make sure our weapons were ready for a full day mission. Sanji would have to plan and prepare enough food during that time, while Chopper would be determining the vital medicine and medical equipment he'd want to bring with us. It also gave us time to full rest up to be truly ready for the task at hand. The horde passing by would be gone by then, so we wouldn't have to deal with that. With the planning out of the way, we all went home to prepare in whatever way we needed.

Luffy and I spent a lot of time trying to distract ourselves. We played a lot of video games, took more walks than we normally did, and spent a lot of time just lying together while discussing anything and everything. The time couldn't have gone by faster.

Then this morning, at the first sign of light, our group set out from the safety of the walls towards where Ace and the mystery person have been waiting for rescue for too long. With the distance and estimation of how many zombies we'd run into, we figured it would take all morning to reach them. We would then eat lunch, Chopper would tend to the injured person, and then head out to get back to the community before dark. At least, that is the plan. The first half is going fairly well, even with frequently having to deal with small groups of zombies.

"Akari, Zoro, and I will take out this group," Luffy whispers, looking around at everyone. "Sanji, Usopp, and Nami, you three go ahead to see if there's more in our way. Chopper, Robin, Franky, and Brook, stay back here for the signal to advance, but don't let your guard down."

"We're almost there," Nami nods. "We should see the building that Ace has holed up in on the other side of this tree line."

"We'll just have to kill a few more undead before we finally get there," I grin even through my mouth is hidden by my mask, looking around at everyone.