Chapter 1

Hey! This is my second book, it's called Second Place (ha, second book, second place) as you can see. I'm hoping you like this as well cause I have somewhat of more hopes on this story than the other.

Well on word to the story!

Chapter One

I continued making the lines thicker while the same words continued to replay in my head, over and over again. Like if I had a broken CD playing and it would repeat that small piece.

'You're just an ordinary werewolf.'

I dropped the 0.5 pencil and quickly grabbed a 0.7 shading pencil, adding more detail to every small part, moving the lamp closer to the drawing to have more light. Lessons were cancelled today due to the event that we're making for our Alpha's return.

Alpha Victor Rosis.

He was a man of mystery, well to me he was since I never met him or seen him - even though I'm one of his top warriors - before which makes him a mystery to me. That's why some people think it's a greater mystery for it.

I grabbed my eraser, slowly and gently erasing a few mistakes of passing out of place and quickly got back to it. I heard my door creak along with a small gentle knock.

"How you feeling, sweetie?" My mother asked while I continued to sit down on my desk, drawing my depression away.

"Eh." I mumbled, now lightly shading the sides of my roses I was drawing. I guess you can call me artistic and whatnot but I really don't see it like that.

"Rose, please dont tell me you're still feeling awful after what he did to you?" My mother spoke, making me stop in an instant and just stare down at my paper.

"Mother. Please don't bring him up. Can you please leave my room now. I want to be alone." With every word I spoke, my eyes would feel more watery and my vision would get blurry.

I moved my head up and away from my drawing making sure no teardrop lands on it. It's been two months since my mate has rejected me.

Daniel Gonzalez.

Worst mate anyone could possibly have, I bet. We were having a pack meeting one day with a neighboring pack and well everyone was invited when all of a sudden I got this delicious scent. To my curiosity, I followed it and found my mate. He belonged to the other pack, he was the beta's son.

To cut the story short, he noticed my scent and knew instantly, I was his mate. Much less to my liking, he took me to a room, rejected me only due to that I was an ordinary werewolf. Even though it pained me, I accepted his rejection and now I'm a lone wolf once again. Worst possible feeling ever. My mother tells me that if your first mate rejects you, it's cause your second mate is more valuable for you.

I don't believe in second mates.

I heard her sigh but than there was a slight shut of the door clarifying she did leave. I pushed my chair and rolled towards the middle, looking up at the ceiling.

I'm only nineteen years old, I'm in the most powerful pack in the continent, I'm a warrior - or a fighter in other words - for our pack, I never met the alpha or the other high ranks even though they consider me in the top rank for my improvement in our fighting school, and my mate rejected me.

Hurray for life.

There was a knock on my window but I continued to stare at my ceiling that was covered with clouds. Yes, clouds. They're actually small lanterns covered with pillow stuffing and different color light bulbs with them which turn on by the snap of my fingers. The knocking continued more rapidly and desperate until I had enough.

I growled and stormed towards my window, seeing my best friend, Jasmine Peckins, smiling innocently at me. I opened up my window and climbed out, sitting on the roof next to her. My house was a two story house and I had this window where I can simply climb out and immediately sit on the roof.

Fun, right?

"What now, Jasmine? I'm a little busy, you know." I muttered laying on my back.

"Do you know our Alpha is back from that long business trip and his father is arranging a party that every girl from the age sixteen and up must go since you know. Our Alpha has no mate." Jasmine shrugged.

"Isn't our Alpha like twenty-nine years old? Or something." I raised an eyebrow, sitting up now.

"He's twenty-three years old." Jasmine scoffed making me chuckle.

She laid down the roof while I twirled a piece of my hair between my fingers feeling nervous. I sighed and threw my hair back, bringing my knees to my chest. Placing my chin on top of my knees, I watched as couples strolled around the streets while kids ran around playing weird little games.

Our pack was hidden deep in the forest away from the human life. It's really peacful, wonderful and calm. It's nice watching mates being together and being such dreamlike couples. I wish I had my mate, my normal mate.

Is being ordinary that bad?

"We should probably head off and go buy our dresses." Jasmine spoke, startling me.

"You go do that. I already know what Ima wear. There's no way he's gonna be my mate anyways. Second mates don't exist." I responded but it only made her gasp in shock.

"Yes they do! I mean look at my parents. My mom's first mate rejected her but she found her second mate who's my dad." She gave an example but I only responded by rolling my eyes.

"That was just by luck. I mean I wanted to be with my first mate. I don't want to be second place. Plus, what if my second mate is dead? No mate for me." I stood up and climbed back into my room.

"Look. If you don't have a mate, just date Zack. His first and second mate rejected him just cause they wanted a hotter mate. Believe me that was some bullshit move. Plus he has feelings for you." Jasmine spoke, looking into my room but turned and looked at Zack who was playing with a few little kids in the streets.

Zack Nunez. Total bomb of a man.

That man was made of pure goodness. He was at least 6'1 with an amazing body, he had grey eyes that had very small spots of brown in them with nice messy hair. For a twenty-one year old man, he looks divine as ever. Every girl wanted him but he never pays attention to them. He was also known for my partner or helper for our fighters.

They screamed with delight running around him like crazy. He ran after him but he picked one up and spun him around, holding him tightly, making sure he won't fall. When he stopped, he looked over at us and we met eyes. He smiled and waved as I blush and waved back.

"See. You two definitely like each other. He's great with kids, knows how to cook, same age as us, handsome, sweet, kind, fun-"

"Alright. I get it. He's perfect." I cut her off, blushing deeply.

"I'm just saying, if you don't find your mate, be with him. If you do and he rejects you, start things with Zack. You two have chemistry." She smiled at me.

"Okay. Well I'll see you at the ball my dear Jasmine." I gave her a little smirk while she giggled.

"See you there my Rose." She winked at me making me roll my eyes but kept a smile on my face.

Sighing, I closed my window and headed towards my closet. What shall I wear? Even if I'm not the Alpha's mate, I should dress to impress. I am one of his fighters after all so I must impress.