Discovered

Rudhira's words touched my heart and I leaned in for a kiss. He nibbled my lower lip and slowly pried my lips open with his thumb. As our tongues met and lips melded, I felt like I was melting. 

It was an exceptionally blissful sensation, the world around was a mere blur. The fact that it was Rudhira who was kissing me intensified my growing euphoria. He pulled me nearer, one hand tightly gripping my hair and the other hand locking my hips in place. As I was lying on top of him, I could feel my breast crushed against his firm chest and the contours of his solid thighs. 

Rudhira's lips glided smoothly from my mouth to the hollow of my throat. I heard the growl of approval he made from the back of his throat and smiled. 

"MALLIKA!" 

The shout echoed loud enough to startle us both to sitting upright on the grassy ground. When I raised my head, I saw a fuming Uncle Chandra emerge from the shadows. 

He briskly covered the distance between us in three steps. He slapped me so hard that I could hear a ringing noise in my ears. 

"How dare you?" he hissed to Rudhira, " How dare you touch her? Is this why you volunteered for the Envoy Exchange? So that you can disappear after putting a baby in her?"

Rudhira replied through clenched teeth, "Unlike you, I would take responsibility if I got a woman pregnant, not pass off that child as someone else's to avoid a bad reputation" 

Uncle Chandra's fist connected with Rudhira's face and blood slowly dripped down his nose. 

"Uncle!" I screamed as I rushed to Rudhira and tried to staunch his bleeding with my uttariya. 

"Let's see what your eminent father, King Vrishaparva has got to say about this." Uncle Chandra mocked, "Stand proud, Rudhirasara, you have disappointed your father" 

I glanced at Rudhira and saw that he looked horrified at the mere idea of hurting his father in any way. "Uncle" I begged, "Please calm down. This is not his fault alone. I had a part in this too" 

"No, dear child!" said Uncle Chandra affectionately, "This shameless womanizer led you astray. You have always been a good girl. Your judgement got clouded by youthful hormones, that's all" 

"I am not a girl, Uncle Chandra" I said vehemently, "I am a grown woman and I can think for myself. I am not making hormonal, impulsive decisions. I chose to be with him because I enjoyed his company. Our minds are a perfect match and that is why I did not find it wrong to give myself to him" 

Uncle Chandra turned to Rudhira, his eyes blazing with fury "You have corrupted an innocent girl. Aren't you ashamed at all? How can you call yourself the heir to your illustrious ancestors?" 

"Are you not ashamed to keep your own daughter in the dark about her true parentage because of your cowardice?" Rudhira snapped. 

"You told her?" Uncle Chandra asked, his voice was colder than Kailasha's mountains. 

"Yes" growled Rudhira, "I am tired of watching a mature woman being treated as a newborn baby who must be shielded from the world by you and your lover"

"Still, it was not your call to make. Who the hell are you in all this? Her husband?" Uncle Chandra snarled. 

"Regretfully, I am not, as of now but I would be more than happy to be her husband" Rudhira replied, determinedly.

"Follow me, you two" Uncle Chandra said in a deadly calm voice, "If you do not want a diplomatic disaster, Rudhira, I advise you to quietly obey. Mallika, let's see what your parents have to say about this" 

Cold fear crawled across my back at the thought of facing my mother and father. 

We arrived outside my house, Uncle Chandra yelled for my parents. They emerged, my father looked a bit annoyed at being woken so late. My mother, this was the first time I paid attention to it, gazed at Chandra with tenderness. 

"Your daughter, Preceptor Brihaspati, was found engaged in indecent acts with this Asura man" said Uncle Chandra. 

Chills ran down my spine at the cold rage in my father's eyes. Suddenly, I was a child desperately wanting to please her father by obeying his every order without question. Rudhira gripped my wrist reassuringly and I calmed down, returning to the present moment.

"You dare to flaunt your indecent relationship?" my mother said, furiously, "It is bad enough that you have brought disgrace to the Suras and Asuras. Let go of him, now, Mallika" 

When I tried to pull my hand away, Rudhira tightened his grip, "Eighteen years ago, when Lord Chandra was accused of indecent relations with you, Lady Tara. Do you remember what he said?"

My father stiffened at this remark, Uncle Chandra and my mother looked uncomfortable. 

"Let me refresh your collective memory" Rudhira said, with a steely glint in his eyes, "This happened during a Sura-Asura Peace Summit. My father was present that time and he was the one who told me of this. When Indra was asked to pass judgement by the Suras, Lord Chandra said and I quote 'Our hearts met first and that is why our bodies had to follow. If it was mere infatuation, I would not have taken such a risk. Despite knowing the consequences of indulging in this relationship, I chose to proceed because I am irrevocably in love with her. I will endure any punishment but please do not ever call our genuine love for each other as indecent' Do you remember now, Lord Chandra and Lady Tara?" 

 "How would you feel if I called your love for one another as indecent?" Rudhira asked, "Do you think that the almighty Indra is incapable of giving a fitting punishment? Do you think Preceptor Brihaspati is unable to use his knowledge of laws to ensure you are punished? Why did these two keep quiet? Because they saw your true love!"

Rudhira drew me close, "I only ask that you see my true love for Mallika. She is my soulmate!" 

I should have known that day that it was all too good to last. 

Loving You Through Lifetimesजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें