The Carnival

Blinded by tears, I dashed away even as a puzzled Uncle Chandra called my name. Why did everyone I trust lie to me all this time? 

I ran headfirst into flesh as hard and unyielding as an iron wall. Two strong arms gripped me firmly to steady me, "Are you alright?" he asked, in a concerned voice.

I raised my tearstricken face to see Rudhira and his eyes widened on seeing my tears. He swore under his breath, "I shouldn't have revealed that sensitive information to you. I just don't like the idea of keeping someone in the dark about something so important. Still, it wasn't my place to reveal this news to you, I am really sorry!" 

"No, it's okay" I sniffed, "You are the only one who has been honest with me all this time. Why didn't Mother or Uncle Chandra ever talk to me about this?"

"They see you as a child, that's why. They infantilize you and think you are better off ignorant about some things" Rudhira replied, grimly. 

"And you, what do you see me as?" I asked. 

"I see a woman, not a little girl. I see a beautiful woman ripe in all the beauty of her womanhood. I see a fiesty woman who is not afraid to speak her mind. I see a loyal woman who always strives to keep her faith in the people she trusts no matter what" Rudhira whispered huskily, his eyes riveted to mine. 

"You enchant me, Navamallika" he murmured, reaching a hand to tuck a stray blossom back into my hair. With his other hand, he curled a tendril of my hair around his finger and gently kissed it. 

My heart pounded in my ears as a blush crept across my cheeks. A tingling sensation spread across every inch of my body. Raw desire consumed me and I felt fascinated by him. 

He glanced around and said, "I do not think it is a good idea for an unwed Sura woman to be caught with an Asura man in the dead of the night. How about we go elsewhere?" 

I nodded in agreement, "You are right, I can only imagine the damage it would do to my reputation and yours. Where do you want to go?" 

"There is a Carnival happening in the mortal realm right now! Let's go there?" he asked, raising an eyebrow. 

"Yes! Let's go!" I whispered, I had heard a lot about the wonderful carnivals in the mortal realm. I always wanted to visit since I was a child but never got a chance due to my strict upbringing. 

He grinned at me and whistled, suddenly a humongous tiger appeared before me. I nearly screamed but Rudhira swiftly covered my mouth with his hand, "Relax, it's my pet" 

On a closer look, I realized it was not an ordinary tiger but an Asura tiger. Rudhira helped me sit on its back and seated himself before me. We flew into the air and I tightly held onto Rudhira's waist as we landed in the mortal realm. 

I had expected to see humans in the Carnival and I was surprised to see Nagas, Suparnas, Yakshas, Rakshasas, Gandharvas and Kinnaras. 

"Mallika, the Asura and Sura rules forbid direct contact with humans. We can visit mortal realm but only to meet other mythical beings like ourselves" 

A Few Hours Later

The Carnival was the most spectacular thing I had ever seen in my life. Thousands of fireworks lit up the sky like a garden of multi-coloured flowers. Some Naga women danced tantalizingly to pungi [1] music played by some Naga men whereas other Nagas sold shapeshifting, fertility and underwater breathing potions. Gandharvas sold innumerable weapons, chariots and percussion musical instruments. The Kinnaras sold a wide variety of horses and stringed musical instruments. The Suparnas sold hundreds of types of birds, beautiful accessories and mechanical wings made of feathers. The Rakshasas sold invisibility potions, illusion potions, aphrodisiacs, human and animal blood. The Yakshas sold forest products such as mahua, sandalwood, musk, honey and treasures such as all kinds of gems and precious metals. 

I saw mothers bargaining with the vendors while managing their little ones. I saw newly wed husbands dotingly buying something for their brides. I saw lovers walking hand in hand, exploring the markets together. I saw children playing in groups and running across the place. 

"How is it?" Rudhira asked.

"It's absolutely splendid, I love it! Thank you for bringing me here!" I said.

"A little something for you to remember me by" he said with a cheeky grin while he bought me a glittering diamond and sapphire choker from the Yaksha stall. "May I?" he asked, I nodded and he draped the necklace around my neck. I saw my reflection in the stall's mirror and felt awed by it's beauty. 

"This necklace features gems in the colours of both Suras and Asuras. I hope it will be an auspicious sign of more Sura and Asura harmony in the years to come. I hope it will remind you to look at the Asuras not as the Other but merely as beings different from you, Suras" he said, lightly brushing the back of his hand against it. 

"Thank you..." I whispered, overwhelmed with gratitude at both his gift and good wishes. 

"There is one more present I have in mind" he said. 

"No, please, I couldn't possibly accept anymore gifts" I stammered, flustered. 

"Please, I insist" he placed the mechanical wings created by the Suparnas, in my hands, "If you ever find it too suffocating at your place, use these wings to fly and experience freedom. Tell me, have you ever flown in the celestial sky of Amaravati?" 

"No..." I whispered, reverently touching the photoluminescent iridescent feathers of that magnificent aerial appendage. 

"Amaravati has the best sky view in the three worlds. Nothing can compare to its aerial charm." he shut his eyes, "Stretch your hand and you can almost touch the sky with your fingertips" 

"I will" I promised, hugging the wings to my heart. 

 He smiled as his gaze met mine "The sky is the limit, Mallika" 

GLOSSARY

[1] Pungi - The pungi is a folk music instrument that is mostly played by cobra charmers in India. The instrument is made from a dry hollowed gourd with two bamboo attachments. It is also a double-reed instrument