36

CHAPTER 36

After Matilda was released from the hospital, she didn't hesitate to go home and pack a bag. This time she didn't feel guilty.

It was only a matter of time before David would return home so she had to be quick.

They had a plan. She'd go back to Birmingham with the Shelby's, Tommy would help her expand her business, her and Finn would start over. And this time, they'd make it work.

As Tilly was closing the bag, the door closed downstairs. She took a deep breath and picked up the back and her jacket and hovered at the top of the stairs.

"I'm..home," David trailed off, placing his keys on the wooden table and looking up at her. "I'm leaving," she said quickly.

"What?"

She cleared her throat, "I said i'm leaving, i'm going back to Birmingham."

"That's a funny joke, Tilly."

"I'm not joking. I'm going home." She shook her head, descending the steps. "This is your home, remember?" he chuckled. Tilly shook her head. "You didn't even come to see me in the hospital. I spent Christmas with the Shelby's, in a hospital room. Where were you, hm?"

David stared at her. "Tilly don't do this."

"I'm sorry, David. You were good to me, you really were. But I have to leave.  I don't love you anymore."

She wasn't sure if she ever did.

Her words stung him but he just looked down, nodding. "Did I do something? What has made you want to leave?" he asked quickly. Tilly sighed. "You know Finn, don't you?" she began.

"The young brother? Yes."

"Well. A long time ago, before I came here. He was my boyfriend and he saved me. In every way possible. Then my mother passed and things spun out of control. It wasn't his fault. It was no one's fault really but it resulted in me leaving, just like i am now. But i've always regretted leaving, solely for the fact I left him behind."

"What're you saying?"

"I'm saying that i, truly, never stopped loving him. And I'm sorry, i really am." She took another step toward the door. "But I can't stay here, David. Not if my heart belongs somewhere else."

He shook his head. "I understand."

He didn't understand but he didn't want to cause an argument. David knew about Billy Woods but not Finn. And the fact he knew about Billy Woods and what he did, was the only reason he remained calm. He didn't want to lash out. Her reason for leaving was understandable and at least she gave him a reason.

David dug his nails into the wood as she opened the door.

"Thank you, David. For everything. I suppose i just can't stop running from my problems." She smiled slightly, gripping the bag tightly. David hummed, "merry Christmas, Tilly. For yesterday."

Tilly said no more, She left, closing the door behind her and walking out to Ada Shelby's car.

The rest of the family had went home due to business so Ada offered to take her back.