7

CHAPTER 7

Polly stood beside John at the betting shop doors. "How long till they're together," John whispered, looking at Matilda and Finn who lay asleep on the couch.

"Not long. At least a few weeks."

"Hm," John smirked, turning to go back into the shop. Polly smiled slightly at the sight of the two and closed the doors again to avoid waking them.

That night, there was no awkwardness in the air after they kissed. They seemed..happy? Not long after the kiss, they both ended up asleep on the couch together, the fire soon burning out.

Once Polly had left them in the room, they'd woken up around an hour later. Well, John had woke them.

"Ay, Tilly, someone at the door for you." He shouted, standing over them.

"John, she whined, covering her eyes. "Tilly, come on or i'll throw water on you." He threatened

She groaned loudly, removing Finn's arm from around her and getting off the couch, slowly walking to the door.

She bit her tongue when she saw Billy stood in front of her. "What do you want?" Tilly hissed, holding the door. "I wanted to talk," he said.

Typical. That's what Billy did after every argument, especially the ones where he was in the wrong. He'd try having a conversation with her but it resulted in him blaming her, every time.

"I'm so glad i woke up for this." She said sarcastically, trying to close the door but he placed his foot in the way.

"Billy go away," she sighed, crossing her arms.

He knew that he needed to remain calm in front of all the people at the shop. "Can i come in, please?"

"No, you cannot. This is my place of work, and the Shelby Family's home. They don't want want dog shit on their carpets which means, dogs aren't allowed in." She smiled, trying to annoy him.

He breathed heavily, placing a hand on the brick wall. "Funny, Matilda, really funny."

Billy's eyes fixated on the necklace that lay on her chest. "Thought you broke that?"

"I did, well i broke the old one. This one's new." She said, touching the silver necklace. "Who got you it?" Billy questioned.

"Fuck off Billy." Tilly sighed again, looking over her shoulder.

"Tilly, I just want to talk, please."

"Tom, unwanted visitor, help me, please," she whispered to Tommy who passed her. He stopped in his tracks, stepping in front of her and opening the door, looking down at Billy.

"Is there an issue, Billy?"

"Er..no not at all Mr Shelby." He stuttered.

"Then i suggest you leave Matilda alone, she's got work to do." Billy swallowed hard, nodding quickly before scurrying back to his house.

She let out a breath of relief. "Thank you Tommy,"

He said nothing but walked back toward the den, "Make sure you help out with taking the bets today, it'll be busy in the shop."

"Yes sir," she mocked.

Matilda returned to the living room where Finn sat, cup of tea in hand. "Thanks," she hummed, taking it from his hands.

"That's mine, Tilly." He whispered, leaning his head back.

"Yeah, and now it's mine." Matilda spoke softly, sipping the warm drink. He didn't argue, he didn't have the energy.

"Who was at the door?"

"Billy, but Tom got rid of him for me." She said, throwing her legs over his, causing him to jump.  His eyes landed on the small cuts along her legs making him curious. "What're they?"

Tilly looked down at what he was referring to and pulled her dress over them, thinking. "I fell."

"On what? Fucking knives?" he laughed. "Tell me what actually happened."

Tilly began trying to muster up the courage to tell him what had happened.

"Yesterday, me and Billy got into and argument because I didn't want to do..things with him. And it got heated and I ended up smashing a glass over his head.."

Finn snorted with laughter.

"And when i tried to leave, he pushed me into the floor and the glass must've cut me." She nodded along to her own words, speaking truthfully.

Finn felt angry that Billy had
physically hurt her over something so small. All because she didn't want to have sex? Ridiculous. Obviously, he knew he couldn't do anything about it because it wasn't any of his business and Matilda would never allow him too.

"You're okay though?" he asked, earning a reassuring nod from her.

Tilly didn't want Finn to worry about her cause she knew that was something he did best. Worry about her. Which she enjoyed but sometimes didn't want him too.

"Listen," Finn began talking again. "Me and Cameron were going to go to the races on Friday. Isiah was supposed to come too but he has to help his dad out..something to do with preaching."

She waited for him to continue.

"So do you want to come instead?"

"I don't think Billy would be happy if i did that," she looked away.

"Fuck Billy, nobody likes him anyway. Come on, it'll be fun."

Matilda's bit her lip, thinking for a few moments. "Fine," she sighed, "but don't be so unorganised like last time, please."

The last time they'd ever went the races was two years before. They'd went with Isiah too. Considering it was a very last minute thing, they had to take the train into London, which she hated. She absolutely hated London. Full of cockneys. Anyway, when they got there, it was a complete shambles. Billy Kimber had made them fixed races, which Tilly thought took the fun out of it. She didn't agree with fixing races, unless it was the Shelby's doing it. But Tilly couldn't figure out if she didn't like fixed races or she just didn't like Billy Kimber.

"Shit," Matilda jumped up, "the shop opened like half an hour ago, Tommy said i had to help," she said in a panic, rushing to go into the shop.

Finn chuckled slightly, following after her.

˗ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ˗