26

CHAPTER 26

Matilda sat alone in one of the many dimly lit rooms of Thomas Shelby's house. Her hands rested on her stomach as she lay on the bed, staring up at the ceiling.

Her skin was covered in goosebumps, the room cold. Matilda's fingers drew circles on the dark red bedsheets, thoughts rushing through her mind.

Quiet shouting began outside. That was enough for her to make her way over to the window, knowing she'd be entertained by anything at this hour.

It was a man, clearly drunk, being dragged out of the gates by two of the cavalry officers that had attended. He was putting up a fight, refusing to leave. Which she thought was ridiculous as it was going on two o'clock in the morning.

Tommy had refused to let her get the last train home and instead let her stay in one of the bedrooms in his home.

She was thankful, of course. But at that moment, there was nothing else she wanted more than to be back in London, safe in her house, the doors locked. Her anxiety and slight paranoia from lack of sleep was consuming her as the clock ticked.

Any slight sound made her jump. All she wanted to do was run away, hide under the covers like a small child. But she didn't.

Finn stood a few doors down, whisper-shouting at Isiah who was trying to force him to go down to where Tilly was staying. "No, i don't want to!"

"Mate, just go!" Isiah pushed him forward, sick of his sheepish behaviour. Finn went to argue once more but Isiah knocked on her door and laughed before running off.

"Isiah-" Finn hissed, knowing he couldn't walk away as the random knock would probably scare Tilly.

Her head snapped toward the door, panic filling her when the knock echoed ever so slightly. She waited a few seconds. Her body was heavy as she twisted the door handle, opening the door and revealing an awkward looking Finn.

"Finn, what the fuck." She placed a hand on her chest, taking a breath of relief. "I'm sorry..i know it's late. I just wanted to.." He paused, looking to his left, Isiah stood with his head peaked around the corner. "Say goodnight, that's all." He finished.

Tilly frowned slightly, hugging her dress to her body as the chill from outside the room made her shiver.

"Well..goodnight, Finn." She nodded, her hand remaining on the door. Finn looked at his feet then at her. "Finn i'm sorry, but you need to go. David wouldn't be too happy if he knew another boy was talking to me at this hour, he'd assume the worst."

"So does David control you now?" He scoffed, the liquor talking for him "Finn," she sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose.

"What, it's just a question."

"Well don't ask questions. We are no longer together, Finn. You don't get to have an opinion on my life anymore. Please go,"

Finn breathed heavily. "I don't like David."

"I don't care what you like, Finn!" She practically shouted, "now leave. He'll he coming up to bed soon."

Finn shook his head, "night then," he said bitterly, spinning on his heels and walking back toward Isiah. Just as he turned the corner, he almost bumped into David who walked with a cigarette in between his lips.

David nodded at him politely and continued walking.

Tilly sat back on the bed, her knees up against her chest and her back against the head board as David entered the room and placed his suit jacket over the chair.. "You seem worried," He observed, folding the bottoms of his sleeves over.

She shrugged. "I suppose i've grown to dislike unfamiliar places," she excused.

"It's freezing in here, Til. Why haven't you lit the fire?" He chuckled, kneeling down and placing a piece of wood that fell to the floor, back into the fireplace.

"Oh, i didn't think about doing that, sorry-" Tilly spoke quickly as if he'd snapped at her about something.

He tilted his head. "It's okay, relax." He said, placing his hand in front of the flames that began rising. She lowered her shoulders and watched as he walked over toward her. Everything was moving in slow motion for her.

Sleep deprivation, desire and being desperate for comfort was not a good mix for her. There was a moment of silence. He couldn't help but notice how on edge she was.

His presence made Tilly feel more at ease in the unfamiliar room.

David's eyes diverted to her chest, a small blue sapphire sat on her skin. The necklace Finn got her. He hadn't noticed it until now. Tilly followed his eyes and realised what he was looking at.

"That's a nice necklace, when did you get that?" he said in a quiet voice. She ripped her hand from underneath her legs and touched the jewel. "I got it when i was living in Birmingham, a gift off one of the Shelby's."

"Must've been expensive," he said, sitting beside her. She shrugged, "i didn't buy it so i don't care," she joked, leaning into the pillows.

Silence filled the air.

"Wait," she paused. "If you're going to sleep in this bed, you're not wearing your suit pants. You'll ruin them," she said seriously.  He looked at her with a confused expression.

"I'm being serious. And i'm not just saying that so you'll take your pants off." He laughed at her words. "Don't laugh at me, David, i'm saving you from having to buy a new pair. You sleep in them pants and they'll be ruined."

David sighed and quickly slipped out of them, leaving him in his under shirt and under wear.

˗ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ˗