5

CHAPTER 5

Matilda covered her eyes when the curtains of her bedroom were pulled back, letting the sun inside. "Fuck off," she said.

"Happy birthday," Isiah shouted loudly, throwing a pillow at her.

"Isiah, please." She begged, pulling the sheets over her head.

"If you get up now, i'll buy you as many drinks as you want when we go out later." He bargained, crossing his arms.

Those words were enough for her to sit up straight.

Matilda rubbed her eyes and launched a pillow at him, laughing when it hit him in the face. "Where's Finn?" She frowned, looking around the room. "Tom wouldn't let him leave the shop."

She pursed her lips into a straight line and threw her legs over the side of the bed, standing.

"Well, are you going to leave and let me change or.."

"I was actually planning on standing here the whole time." Isiah joked, heading for the door. She gave him the middle finger and closed the door behind him.

Once she'd finally picked out
something to wear, she struggled to tie the white ribbon in her hair but did it eventually. She heard mumbled speaking down the stairs and she frowned, going down to see who it was.

"Oh, Finn, hello," she smiled happily, pulling him into a hug. He placed his hands on her back, hugging her. "Happy Birthday, Tilly." He said, out of breath.

"Did you run here?" she questioned.

He nodded, holding onto the wall. "I did."

"Happy Birthday," he repeated, holding up a small paper bag. She carefully opened it and a small smile appeared on her lips when she realised the bag was filled with multiple ribbons, all different shades of blue.

"Polly helped me, I had no clue where the fuck i'd go to get them things, i'd forgotten what they were called again."

"Ribbons, Finn, they're called ribbons." She laughed, holding the bag tight.

Although it wasn't much, she
actually really liked the gift. It didn't take a lot to please Matilda Willows. Well, that was obvious considering she couldn't stop smiling at the fact Finn Shelby had gotten her ribbons for her birthday.

"Thank you, they're lovely." She nodded, gently touching his shoulder.

"Okay, can we go now?" Isiah appeared behind Finn from previously being in the kitchen. "Your house is fucking freezing."

"Yeah, maybe because my mother is never home, so i only ever light the fire in my bedroom." She said in a sarcastic tone, shoving Isiah out of the door.

Matilda was grateful that there
was no longer an awkwardness between her and Finn.

-

"That boy had me so confused," Polly said, placing a cup of tea in front of her. "He said to me, 'aunt Pol, I need to get Tilly's present,' and when i asked him what it was he was planning on getting you, he said, 'I've forgotten what they're called but they're colourful and she puts them in her hair. You have to tie them. She likes blue ones.' How does the boy not know what a hair ribbon is?" The older woman said, taking a seat opposite her.