Chapter 9: Origins

Chapter Nine: Origins

"Welcome back, Sir Garroth," Lady Jessica greeted before her gaze fell on me and stopped.

My heart stopped at the mention of his name, his eyes also going wide, him looking at me as I looked at her. Her eyes went wide as her lips parted.

"Lady Alaina?"

I couldn't breathe. I didn't know how she knew my name, where she would have recognized me, or- or anything that was happening. I just looked at the man, Sir Garroth, the guy who lied about never knowing a man with that name, his face began to resemble the man in my mind. The hair, the eyes, the laugh, and the smile.

No. This isn't him. He doesn't act like he knows me at all nor has he shown any interest in being notable in sharing any information. I gripped my bag, backing up from the two.

"How could you even- no, what?!" I looked at Garroth, anger starting to well up. "You lied to me!"

"I-" He sighed, "Fine. I did. But you were saying you have no memory whatsoever! And you said the name in the fire and it- it wasn't the ti-"

"Bullshit it wasn't the time!" I yelled. "I told you of the man and what was in the book and you acted as if you had never heard of anything of that subject! Why!?" I screamed.

"Alaina." Laurance slowly started to walk over, trying to reach for me.

"Don't." I snapped at Laurance. I held my finger in a point to stop. I glared at him before I looked at Katelyn. She looked just as shocked.

"Is that why you were looking at me the way you did!?" I pointed at Garroth, "You knew!?"

Katelyn looked between me and Garroth, her biting her lip as she opened her mouth to respond, "It's not what you think..." She carefully said, "Calm down and we can talk about it-"

"Okay. You know what!? Calming down was way out of the equation when you all didn't say his name until she said it." I looked at Garroth before glaring at him again. My skin burned, the feeling of blood pulsing to my face made everything in me even worse, "What part of being discreet was going to make anything better, huh!?"

"I didn't think that I should be the one to say my name. You were damn near figuring it out yourself," Garroth said, his voice getting angry as well.

"Oh really." I glared, walking over, and standing a few feet in front of him. I wasn't as tall as him, my forehead at his eye height. I looked up at him, him looking down at me.

"I can't believe the one person in this damn world that I feel safest around is you..." I spat before turning and walking out of the cottage.

No one said anything, no footsteps followed behind as I stormed down the stairs. My face kept burning as I walked towards the gates. I wanted out. I wanted away. There was no way that this is the person that I saw. Was I stupid for never seeing it until now? The hair, the eyes, the jawline, colors, it was all pointing to him but I didn't want it to point to him either...

Two of the guards saw me leaving. They watched as I walked past.

I kept grumbling to myself, angry about the entire situation. I never wanted to look back and see his stupid face coming. I didn't want to see anyone from Phoenix Drop anymore. I never should have agreed to come here.

"Alaina-" A voice came from behind me and I growled.

"Leave me alone!" I shouted, not turning around to see who it was.