Chapter 8: The Phoenix

Chapter Eight: The Phoenix

"We have about twenty minutes before the gates will be in sight, keep your steps light," The man said as he looked back at the rest of our group. Everyone was exhausted, not realizing what an hour after dusk meant until now.

I watched ahead, my bow loosely docked and pointed to the ground as I watched our surroundings. He looked at me before he looked back ahead. He held his sword in his right hand, his left hand loosely holding onto his bag.

"Is that where we're going?" I asked, motioning towards a small rock formation protruding from a clearing.

The man nodded, "Yes. We'll go towards the right of it and we should be able to see the lanterns at the gate from there."

I looked up at him before back at Laurance.

Laurance seemed preoccupied, him and Reed helping the same young lady I hadn't met. In the first part of the walk, she started having trouble walking, her eyes glossed over and distant. Their help was making sure she kept walking with the group. Reed tried to keep her spirits up, the two striking conversations throughout the afternoon.

I looked back at Garroth. His head turned away, looking out towards the clearing before he put his hand out in front of me, his feet stopping. "Stop..." He quietly said.

"Why?" I asked, raising a brow as I looked up at him.

"Wait here." He looked back at Laurance, motioning for him to bring the group into a small circle.

Laurance and Reed got everyone caught up together.

"What is it?" Laurance asked, his hand on the hilt of his sword as he walked up to the man.

"Normally there is a guard near the clearing... they don't know any of us are coming so starting with all eight of us when we walk forward could spook them." The man said softly, "They'll probably be even more on guard because I disappeared from around here the night before I came towards you."

Laurance nodded, "Good idea." He looked at Reed and I, "You two have everyone sit for a few minutes. Get some rest while we go ahead."

I frowned softly, lowering my voice so no one else heard, "The last time you left me in a clearing someone came up to us-"

"You aren't alone this time," The man chuckled, "And the other guards are not as... snippy as I am."

I looked at him, rolling my eyes at the statement, "Fine. Just don't forget about us."

Laurance chuckled, nodding to me, "We won't."

The two turned, the man pulling his sword out as Laurance pulled out his. The two disappeared behind a couple trees as Reed and I got everyone in a mini clearing, making sure they all sat down to relax their feet.

"I hope they bring some water... Some of them look like they're going to pass out." I said to Reed, the two of us standing watch a couple meters away.

He glanced back before nodding, "Yeah... and hopefully some reinforcements to get them off their feet."

I quietly nodded in agreement before docking my bow. "When did you become a guard?" I asked, trying to fill the space.

Reed shrugged, shifting his feet under him, "About eight to ten months ago. I had been training under Sir Aldrich since I was ten, I think. He's my uncle."