Chapter 4: Run

Chapter Four: Run

"Shit..." I whispered, not wanting to move. If I moved, he could attack me. Maybe he didn't know I could see him. I gently pulled my bow next to me in case I needed it. But I was on a rock over water. I couldn't escape easily.

Unless...

My muscles froze on me before I winced and suddenly jerked my body, shoving myself off the rock and dove into the water. The water was freezing. My skin contracted underneath its grip. I felt a hand plunge after me, grabbing onto the arrow holder on my back. I jerked, wriggling out of it as I saw it get yanked out of the water. I heard a loud shout in anger before the figure walked away.

I held my breath, the pond not too deep but deep enough I had to go down to go up.

My foot touched the bottom as I shoved off, shooting up towards the surface. My eyes opened as I gasped for air, getting over to the edge of the water. I struggled getting out of the pond, trying to kick myself out of the sand.

"crap...crap crap crap CRAP!" I muttered panicked, kicking into the sand to move forward.

I heard feet shuffling before I heard a shout and a sword unsheath.

"Hey!" I screamed, trying to get Laurance's attention, if he was even around.

My bow was stuck to my feet as I struggled to get my sword out of the sheath.

"Alaina!" Laurance's voice rang out into the clearing before his and the man's swords collided.

"Laurance!" I shouted. My heart pounded so hard my vision began to blur.

The man and Laurance started to shove at each other, both struggling for an upper hand. Laurance glared at the man, the man's hood and mask covering his features.

I pulled my hood off, trying to get the water's drip out of my face. I coughed, trying to get to my feet and help. I cried out, unable to move. It felt as if I was paralyzed.

The man suddenly punched Laurance in his diaphragm. Laurance crumpled to the ground at the hit, losing his breath for a second. The man looked at me before he started to walk over.

"Alaina! RUN!" Laurance coughed, wheezing as he couldn't do anything but watch.

"Get back! No!" I shouted, able to get on my back and pull my sheath out. My hand gripped it steadily, pointing my sword directly at the man's face.

The man stopped; his sword held at his waist height pointed at my chin. I looked at him, my breathing stitched together with my nerves, unable to react better.

He pulled his hood off, his hair and eyes suddenly showing out from the dark blue cloth.

I glared to him, holding my sword outward, not backing down.

He watched me move away, almost letting me get to my feet. "Leave us alone!" I shouted.

He glanced at Laurance before back at me, him flicking his sword against mine.

"I said leave us alone!" I said again, pushing back at his sword.

He looked at me, not moving from his stance. Instead, he stepped closer, making me walk backwards.

"Alaina, move sideways, damn it!" Laurance choked out, him starting to get on his feet.

I didn't know what he meant until my back pressed against one of the trees. I gulped, looking at the man in front of me.

He pushed his sword against mine, the sharp side of his against the flat side of mine.

I looked at him, mustering out the only thing I could.