Chapter 3: The Pond

Chapter Three: The Pond

"Wake up, Alaina," A hand shook my shoulder quietly. I groaned in response, opening my eyes.

I looked up and saw Laurance bending over me with a cup in his hand.

"Did you have a rough night again?" He asked, gesturing to the window.

"What do you mean?" I rubbed my eyes, looking straight out the window. I was sitting up, the window open and my body leaning on the windowsill.

"Every time I've come in the last couple weeks you've been like this..." He said softly before he sat down beside me, "How's your knee doing?"

I shrugged as I grabbed the cup he offered, taking a sip of the warm tea. I glanced back out the window. "It's not bugging me as bad anymore. I'm getting tired of the stick though." I flicked the stick attached to keep my leg steady.

He chuckled softly, "Well, I ran into Miss Zoey this morning and she mentioned after you drink the tea that you just got from me, you can take the brace off and see how it feels."

I almost spit out the tea, "What- What's in it then!?"

He rose a brow, "The same thing I always put in it- tea leaves, water, honey, and a forest remedy she mixed up." He added nonchalantly.

I rolled my eyes before finishing the cup off and smacking him in the head with it. "You could have poisoned me and I probably wouldn't notice."

Laurance laughed lightly, standing up. "Never let your guard down." He said, extending an arm.

I looked up at him, my heart skipping in recognition, before I grabbed his arm. He helped me to my feet before he let go, allowing me to walk towards the door on my own. I had been getting better over the last few days, only a couple stumbles here and there. He smiled.

"Before we leave though, I thought you might want a change of clothes." He said, grabbing a small pile he had set down before I had woken up.

"What's all there?" I asked.

"Well, my sister Miss Cadenza sent undergarments, shirts, and pants that she thought you would like. Since you never wear the dresses she's tried giving you," He smiled. He handed the pile to me.

I looked at them quietly, seeing the dark blue and brown stitching. I looked at him, "Right now?" I asked.

Laurance laughed before opening the door, "Come out when you are dressed, Alaina." He said before shutting the door, his steps receding and the scrape of a chair against the stone concluded his movements.

I rolled my eyes as I set the stuff on the bed, undressed, and redressed into the outfit. The pants fit snuggly, a belt with a hilt loop connected, and the shirt had an odd puff of fabric on the top. I curiously pulled it over my head, the puff hooking on and covering my hair. I pulled it off, settling it loosely behind my head. The shirt fit snuggly against my skin with pockets in the front. I lightly smiled before shaking the stick brace to the side. I turned around and faced the window, seeing the faint reflection of me wave back. I tilted my head, taking in how drastically my looks had changed from when I had first come here to now.

I pulled my hair out of the shirt, the long strands falling onto my shoulders as I fixed the rest of the shirt. I looked back and saw a satchel with the first letter of my name etched in gold stitching. I smiled lightly before pulling it over my shoulder and I opened the door.