17: Catching an Eye

"I hate this so much," I grumbled with cringe as I dug through my suitcase only to find that all I had brought with me was the one nice outfit.

"So you've said," Five retorted back in a bored tone with his back to me. "I don't particularly care for it much either, but you're the only option I have right now."

I scoffed. "Oh like you don't enjoy dragging me along with you to help save a freaking apocalypse. What's so wrong with letting the world go? I mean, the world has ended before. Maybe it's just it's time."

"Are you really that stubborn that you would let the world end just so that you wouldn't have to work with me to help save it?"

I shrugged.

Five scoffed. "Are you done yet?"

I huffed then stopped my search of my bag and moved on to the few remaining outfits I had from my time at the Umbrella Academy that weren't a part of my uniform. "Just give me a second."

I took a lush green pantsuit from the rack and laid it on my bed then picked up my bloodied jacket to scrub the dry blood off of my heels. Five turned around and I scowled. "Five! I could've been changing!"

He rolled his eyes. "I have ears. You weren't." He held out his hands. "I'll take care of the shoes. Just get ready." I handed him them without a thanks and he turned back around started scratching away the blood with his sleeve.

How the heels held up during the fight earlier amazes me, but fighting in them in general wasn't bad at all. It may be an unpopular opinion, but I would choose heels over flats if given the opportunity any day. At college I don't exactly have the chance to often.

I started undressing then quickly replaced my old clothes with my new ones. "I have a question," he stated.

I hummed to acknowledge that I am listening.

"How come you are so adamant to act like you hate me when you missed me while I was gone?"

I actually laughed. "What makes you think that?"

"The picture of me on your mirror."

I inhaled a little too quickly and grit my teeth to keep from coughing. Shizzle. "I don't know what you're talking about."

When I turned around, Five was holding up the tiny photo I had of him from when we were kids with an annoying smirk.

I slid on my jacket the rest of the way then snatched it out of his hand. "Klaus must've put it there as a joke. You know how he is."

His expression didn't change. He only tilted up his chin. "And now you're lying about it."

"No, I'm not." I ripped it in half then again and threw the four pieces into the trash.

He smiled.

"Do you want me help or not?"

"I don't think you'd go back to Chicago knowing that the world was fixing to end anyway, but here." He held out the heels and I snagged them away and put them on, brushing off the thin layer of dust on my outfit next.

Klaus creaked open my door. "I heard voices and—Oh, hey guys, how's it hangin'? I'm not interrupting something, am I?" He wiggled his eyebrows.

"Not now Klaus," Five told him in a gruff voice.

"No no, I'm curious now." Klaus shooed a hand at Five and sat down on my bed.

Five huffed then shut the door behind him.

"Thought you would be long gone by now, babe, since you were so eager to leave earlier."

"Nope. Still here sadly," I replied with a sigh. "We're fixing to head out though. You wanna come with us?" At least then it won't just be Five and I.