20: Stirring

I breathed in as I stirred from my nap. We'd been sitting in this van clear until dusk now. Yawning, I turned around towards Five from facing the window. "Shit. Sorry, I fell asleep."

"It's fine. Only the fate of the world at stake."

I shook my head. "You're the worst person to go on stakeouts with. Why didn't you wake me up?" I sat upright and fixed my seat up so that I wouldn't be tempted to fall back into sleep again.

Five shrugged. "I can handle it. It's also a lot easier to think without your obnoxious voice in my head. You're more bearable asleep."

I rubbed my eyes. "Seventeen years of peace and quiet could only last so long," I sighed. "This is getting us nowhere. We're kinda on the final count down here, bucko."

Five tossed a hand up. "Six days. I'm well aware. Got a better idea?" I didn't respond. No, honestly. Five scoffed. "Okay then."

"I mean, you could have just came back like two weeks ago," I murmured with my arms crossed because I couldn't let him have the last word.

"My plan requires waiting. Particularly waiting for the identity of the person responsible for ending the world to lose an eye. You're more than welcome to try yours." He bared his teeth in a sardonic smile.

Lance striding out of the building with a duffle bag caught my attention, saving me from trying to come up with some other snark. I pat Five's shoulder with the back of my hand and leaned forward. "If you're done squabbling, I think that's him." I turned his head with a finger.

We watched intently as Lance suspiciously crept out into the night and hastily strode towards a waiting car. Five sat forward. "What the hell is he up to?"

A person in the car exchanged a bulky envelope for the bag then sped away. Lance looked both ways then inconspicuously continued down the street like a gray pedestrian. "Odd—" Five held my jaw and kissed me out of the blue. "Five!" I shoved him and he shushed me. When I looked around I realized that he had spatial-jumped us outside and we are now in pursuit of this man. He put his arm around me then we started walking. I shoved him away, brushing his arm off of me like the clingy cobweb of a man he is. "You are not going to start blinking us like that, got it?"

Five shrugged with a sly smile. "I don't know. It made you mad and me happy so it's kind of a win on my part." I punched his arm and he grinned brighter.

We followed him at a distance to a quaint house not far down the road. "Now what? Your plan is to break in?"

"No. We're going to wait. Tomorrow morning he's going to tell us everything about what we just saw."

"And until then?" I raised a brow.

Five tucked his hands in his pockets. "I guess we can either go to that café and drink four pots of coffee, drive the van over here and get some shut eye, or we get a hotel. Your pick."

I chewed on my cheek. I want to sleep, but a hotel sounds a little too serious, but then again, we could oversleep. "Let's just... get the van." Five clucked his tongue in indifference towards my choice then we started our trek back. "Actually, why don't we take the van to the academy. Sleep there." I don't know if I can actually fall asleep on purpose with him that close. How I had managed to accidentally earlier is beyond me. I guess I just felt... at peace, or some shit. Probably just really really tired.

"Yeah, all right." Five grabbed my jaw and leaned closer in preparation to teleport us, but instead received a slap to the face.

"Damn you, Hargreeves!" He snickered. "This isn't funny!"

Five sighed. "Good while it lasted."

Five held out his hand. I stared at it in disgust. "Uh-uh. I'd rather walk." He lurched to grab my wrist as we spatial-jumped. I huffed and crossed my arms over my chest while he drove us away. I wonder if I were to just call it quits if he would actually leave me be or if I would even want that.

I Hate You Hargreeves (The Umbrella Academy)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें