Davyn was aware of this particular Egyptian folk tale of a faithful wife and the revenge of the son against the killer of his father. Something about it had shivers running down his spine, and he wasn't sure why he would feel that way. Maybe the strained family dynamics hit too close to home.

  "But why is it here?" Walt whispered. "Why would this be a temple dedicated to Isis in the first place?"

"I don't think that's the right questions," Simon said. "I think you're wondering what relevance the tale of Isis has in relation to the jewel we're supposed to find."

"Scattered over Egypt..." Davyn wasn't sure why he'd let those words out, but something about that particular part of the story seemed to matter. He felt as if they were scattered, not literally but figuratively. Or maybe rattled was the better word.

"Isis is a protector though, as far as I know," Rachel said. "Maybe that's the purpose. She is protecting the stone, just like she protected her family."

"That's a nice thoughts," Alan conceded. "But it feels a bit like overkill if she didn't have to piece it back together and raise it from the dead first."

They shared a chuckle at that before they all fell silent again. Davyn's head began to pound slowly and he realized he needed to get the adrenaline pumping again. Delaying the inevitable wasn't going to help. 

"We should go," he said.

"So you're calling the shots now?" Edwards asked.

"Yes." The answer was simple and curt.

"No one named you my successor."

No one had to. It was his own cowardice and faulty judgement who had brought them to this point.

"Do you want to duel over it or something?"

"Watch your mouth, kid."

Davyn flinched. As far as Edwards was concerned, he was indeed a child. He wasn't even nineteen yet. But Davyn had never felt less like a child, and just like when he'd been Snitch Gravel, he'd forgotten his own age and supposed lack of experience. 

He knew better, though. He knew there was no way he could get away from Edwards now. They were all heading in the same direction, and this was not different from a mouthy henchman or Baron who sometimes forgot his place. As much as he'd fought it, Davyn let Snitch Gravel deal with this.

"So what exactly bothers you?" he asked, his voice smooth. "That I'm going first? By all means, take the lead."

Edwards narrowed his eyes. "Do you think I can't read that you're being condescending?"

"I think it doesn't matter or shouldn't matter when we don't know what's in front of us." Davyn moved out of the way. "If you don't want me to lead, you'd best be ready to do it yourself."

A staring match ensued. Edwards wasn't a newbie and could tell Davyn was subtly challenging him for the leadership. If he didn't step up now, the rest of the group would know who was in charge. As Davyn had predicted, he wouldn't back down. Davyn didn't care much. Even if he'd mentally already taken over, he was too aware that things would be very different when and if they stepped out of that temple. Edwards was one man and their only link to the Counters. He didn't want to piss the Counters off, not when his father had been part of them.

 "I don't need you to lead, kid." Edwards moved past him, nudging his shoulder against his and pushing him against the walls. "I know you're all well-prepared, but you are children. This is your very first field mission and you have so much more to learn. Don't forget that."

It was the last thing he said before another rain of spears fell from the ceiling and skewered his body.