Silent Confession

Start from the beginning

"I don't suppose they had any of that?" He raised a brow, gesturing to your alcohol.

"Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. It would explain the sudden and poorly executed fighting, but I wasn't babysitting them, so I cant say." You shrugged nonchalantly, taking another sip as you watched the two boys go at it.

Shaking his head, Levi left your side and strode towards them, but his scowl wasn't as deep-set now.

"Oi," Levi called out, now standing behind the brawling teens. Two swift kicks sent them rolling, clutching their sides and stomachs.

"Go to bed."

The boys started to frantically scatter at his threatening tone, but poor Jean crumpled on the ground. The sound of him losing his dinner and drinks all over the floor made you turn your head away with a grimace, quickly making your way to the door leading out of the hall.

"And someone clean that up," you heard Levi grumble before the large wooden door closed behind you.

The cool night air caressed your face in a gentle breeze, barely ruffling through your hair. Breathing in deeply, you closed your eyes for a moment; enjoying the quiet stillness that was now your surroundings.

Of course, the banter and chatter of the soldiers in the hall behind you resonated off the cobblestone street at your feet, but as muffled as it was you could pretend you were far away in your own world for a moment.

You started to walk aimlessly, just to enjoy the solitude and the peace that came with it. But after some time, a trio of voices caught your attention.

Stopping in an ally way, you peaked around the corner to see Eren sitting on a flight of stone steps with Mikasa and Armin; all lost in their own private conversation.

For a moment, you contemplated joining them to check up on them, but a sudden shift in shadows to your left had you muffling a gaps of surprise.

Weary grey eyes met your own, looking up at you from the ground where he sat. After regulating your breathing, you offered him a small smile; of which he merely nodded to.

Levi lifted a bottle to his lips and took a couple gulps from the container before setting it back down between his legs and looking over his shoulder towards the street outside the alleyway.

It seemed you weren't the only one eves-dropping.

You slowly and quietly took a seat beside your Captain, still clutching your own mug in your hand as you leaned against the wall beside him. You both waited until the young trio had left the street to retire the night, leaving you and Levi alone in the near darkness the ally provided.

"Didn't think you drank," you commended dryly.

"Just cause I don't drink at every given opportunity doesn't mean I don't drink at all," he responded quietly, taking another small sip of his beverage.

"Fair enough," you shrugged, mimicking him and taking a strong swing from your mug.

A silence fell between you for a moment while you gazed up at what little of the night sky you could see from the ally way, before your attention was snatched away by Levi's sudden comment.

"I can't understand how they do it. Maybe it's because they're so young...But they retain their hopes and dreams, even after all they've seen and done."

You thought over his words for a moment before you replied.

"That they do. They sound so passionate when they talk about their ambitions. I think, with their determination, they'll get there some day. The 'sea' I think Armin called it."