Levi sighed, almost in defeat. "I suppose you're right. I don't like being hard on you. But with our positions in the Corps...You know this isn't allowed."

You mimicked his sigh, briefly leaning your head against his shoulder before the doors opened. Though all too soon, he pushed open the doors and let go of your hand, his face immediately set with indifference.

"I'll see you tonight. Eyebrows wants us Captains and Section Commanders to report to him before tomorrow's expedition." He murmured softly in your ear before taking his leave, leaving you to find your own way to the mess hall for the evening.

Sitting with your companions, you picked listlessly at the food on your plate. Eld and Gunther were too caught up in their own conversation to notice your melancholy demeanor, while Oulo was far too focused on his plate to care.

Petra sat to your right, sipping from her cup but keeping a close eye on you. Catching her stare, you shoot her a reassuring smile.

The 56th expedition beyond the walls was the following day, and needless to say it weighed heavily on all your minds.

Petra placed a hand onto your shoulder and tried her best to smile back. She returned her attention back to her food, and you were quick to follow suit. But the longer you sat there, glancing up towards the empty seat at the head of the table, the less of an appetite you had

If only we didn't have to hide...

═══════════════════════════

Stepping out of the shower, you wrapped a towel loosely around your body before braiding back your hair. You'd ate what you could stomach in the mess hall, then decided to retire to your room early to avoid having to socialize with anyone.

And by your room, you meant Levi's personal room. You'd been staying with him for awhile now, though you'd have to sneak in early and leave even earlier in the morning to avoid being caught by anyone else.

Slipping on one of his shirts and a pair of shorts, you left his private bathroom and entered the bedroom.

"Well don't you look lovely."

You nearly jumped out of your skin, and as it was you barely muffled a gasp.

"Shit Levi, I didn't even hear you enter."

Levi sat on the corner of his mattress, loose carvat around his neck and uniform straps removed from his torso and legs. He offered you a minuet smirk, then stood and strode over to you.

"Usually, you're not in here till later," he observed aloud.

"I wanted to retire early. Get a shower in, relax...See you..." You muttered sheepishly, playing with the hem of the shirt you wore.

Giving you a soft smile, his arms quickly found purchase around your waist. Immediately you wrapped your arms around his shoulders and laid your head on his chest with a contented sigh.

You both stayed like that for a handful of minuets, living in the peaceful moment life had decided to grant you this evening. Suddenly, with a sigh, Levi slowly released you.

"Listen...About tomorrow-"

"I know, I know. 'Stay close to the squad, don't be a dumbass, and don't die.'" You recited with a chuckle. Rolling his eyes with a huff, Levi led you to sit on the bed beside him.

"Precisely. You'd better watch yourself out there. I need...We need more moments like this; together. Can't do that if your dumbass doesn't come back."

"You, too. You may be 'Humanity's Strongest Soldier' and all, but I don't want to see a single cut on you when we're back." You poked his at his chest playfully and leaned into his warm embrace.