Chapter 12 - Blinding Diamonds & Stars

A/N: I'm using these fucking illustrations bitch idccc I never thought this would be possible until now, so here they come. This chapter is also a lil something light, but it sets up a lot. Hope y'all fuck with it.

Candy visual for the club scene:

Lauren visual for the club scene:

***

December 1st, 2008
West Perrine - Miami-Dade

"Give her a lollipop—she's gonna need to suck on something. Trust me."

Lauren pauses mid-step, face twisting as her body does, and she takes a moment to process that properly instead of taking that the wrong way. She gives a wry chuckle and shakes a finger at Raúl. "Yo, watch what you say. That don't sound right, mano." Lauren resumes her mission to retrieve the black leather binder filled with tattoo designs.

"My bad. I meant—"

"I know what you meant," Lauren saves herself from his rambling. She flips open the book and scans through every page for her next tattoos. "You can go out and get me that lollipop, though. But get one cherry blow pop and one watermelon. Make it fast, he's about to get started," Lauren refers to the tattoo artist carrying his tools to the secluded back room where Candy has full privacy.

Raúl bolts out of the shop just as Normani and Carter come in, saying 'later' to him within the same breath they said 'hey'.

"Hey, Lo," Normani chirps, skipping up to the gang leader heavily focused on a particular design. Lauren breaks momentarily to hug Normani back and dap Carter up. "Whatcha doin'? Getting more tats?"

"Yeah. I want my legs done."

"Sweet."

"Where she at? She back there?" Carter vaguely asks Lauren, already on his way.

Lauren abandons the binder and shakes her head, prompting him to go back to the front of the shop. "She doesn't want anyone else to see her right now. What's your message?"