Chapter 7 - In Bocca Al Lupo

Sergeant Shane Cafferty:

Candy's outfit reference:

***

Coral Gables, Miami

"Am I somebody you can feel safe with?"

Leisurely, Lauren's weary eyes open up just a crack, fixating on the cream canopy curtains draped around Candy's bed, blowing from the open windows allowing in a gentle morning breeze. The question bounces around in her head but an answer refrains from reaching her tongue. She shifts her head against Candy's clothed breasts, causing the younger brunette who cradles her to shift as well until Lauren stops moving with a heavy huff expelling through her nostrils. Candy's fingernails lightly scratch Lauren's scalp as she runs them through her tousled hair, massaging it soothingly so that she remains calm after hours of interrupted sleep and a horrible, horrible episode. Lauren closes her eyes again and relaxes when Candy plants little tiny kisses on her head lovingly. Even if she wanted to, it's not like she is at liberty of burning through any kind of energy; her body is completely sore and overcome with fatigue as though she ran ten miles without stopping.

Not that she remembers it, but she got out of her sleep thirty minutes after falling into it last night, startling Candy when she ran around screaming, flinging objects across the room, alerting the security in the courtyard, and bawling like a baby fresh out the womb. Lauren was still partially asleep unlike Candy and four of her soldiers thought, she was just paralysed from everything she was seeing in her night terrors, and none of her responses to their questions could make any sense. Lauren remained like this for two hours before falling back asleep again, just to experience the same thing fifteen minutes later only this one lasted a full hour. When she wasn't physically fighting Candy—as she perceived her as the threat she truly wasn't—she restricted herself to one corner and rocked back and forth, hysterically panicking, trembling like a wet dog, ripened with the utmost fear as she cried out for Aleesia and her parents to wake up. Candy has never felt that helpless, ever. The most she found she could do for Lauren was to simply be there for her and fight through her own fatigue to take care of her as much as possible. But did Lauren feel safe enough with her to let her?