Garden Decoration

Start from the beginning

You're stunned as you find yourself stuck in the boy's embrace. Deuce and Ace watch on in envy.

Carter pulls you away, hands still on your shoulders. "Oh, you're the prefect of that so-called Ramshackle House dorm, right? Like, I can't believe you actually live there! It's all gloomy and looks like hot garbage on Magicam." Carter pulls you in a tight hug again. "No filter could salvage THAT dump."

Grim huffed. "Y'know, you've done nothin' but diss us here, pal!"

Carter releases you from his hold and goes back to his paintbrush. "Gah, what am I doing? I don't have time to chat! The party's tomorrow. If we're not ready, it's off with my head!"

Carter glances over to your group. "Hey, you kids wanna help me paint some roses?"

"Yeah, uh..." Ace scratched his head. "Why are you doing that exactly?"

Carter continues painting the flowers. "Because red roses are so much more photogenic! Or... something? And after that, I've gotta start getting things ready for the big croquet tournament. And that means coloring all the flamingos." Carter sighs at all the work he has to do.

You and Grim share bewildered looks. "You're colorin' flamingos now? Isn't anything the right color around here?"

"Now it's coming into focus, Ace." Deuce put a hand on Ace's shoulder. "That tart you ate must have been for the housewarden's birthday. That explains his reaction!"

"Hm?" Carter looked at Deuce puzzled. "Oh, no, it's not Riddle's birthday."

"It's not? Then whose birthday is it?" asked Ace.

"It isn't anyone's birthday." Carter shakes his head. "Tomorrow is our dorm's traditional unbirthday party. It's a special tea party we throw when no one has a birthday, if the housewarden feels like it."

Ace tilted his head. "And why would you do that?"

Carter sighs dramatically. "Again with the questions! Listen, I need these roses to be red. Like, yesterday. Can't you guys help out with magic or something? Oh, but Ace is on magical house arrest and Y/N is a total normie, so you two better stick to paint."

Carter hands you a paintbrush. You take it, not exactly sure what to do.

Deuce rubs his chin in thought. "Recolor the roses with magic..."

Grim put his paws to his hips. "Can't say I've ever done this before."

Carter waves off Grim. "Relax, it'll be fine. You got this! But maybe do it before I lose my head? K-thanx!"

Carter went back to the rose bush he was painting. You look to the others who just shrug. You sigh and go to a rose that hasn't been painted yet. You and Ace team up while Deuce and Grim take another heart shaped bush.

"Red... Red... BAM! Wh-whoa! It turned blue?" Deuce scratched his head, wondering what went wrong with his spell.

"Change, o foul color! Change! AHA!" Grim shot a fireball. "BWAH! The rose caught on fire!"

Carter shook his head. "Wow. You're even less competent than I thought." He waved his pen and the fire went out.

Ace rubbed the back of his neck. "Yo, maybe you should just leave the roses white! They look perfectly pretty 'n stuff to me"

You nod, thinking the same thing.

"It's a matter of tradition. You can't have an unbirthday party without the roses being red. And you can't play croquet without seven-colored flamingos as mallets and a hedgehog for a ball.

"Uuhh," The more time you spend here, the less sense everything seems.

"Oh, but of course, the roses need to be white when the garden flowers put on their spring concert. That's absolutely crucial."

Grim put his paws to his head. "All your rules are completely insane!"

"They say the Queen of Hearts made up these rules herself , she was one of the Great Seven, you know. And Riddle is all about tradition. Probably more than previous housewardens, T-B-H. I'll admit that he's, well... a bit extra."

"Yeah, no kidding. I sure don't have time for this nonsense." Ace drops his paintbrush on the ground and marches up to Carter. "Is Riddle here? I gotta talk to him."

"Yeah, probably. But are you sure that's wise? Did you even bring an apology tart to replace the one you ate?"

Ace tilts his head. "Uh, no...? I came here first thing in the morning!"

Carter lets put a sheepish laugh. "That could be a problem. Have you forgotten rule 53? Stolen items must be replaced. If you're not in compliance, I can't let you in."

"Are you serious?" Ace shouted at Carter.

Carter simply shrugged. "All dorm residents must obey the rules. If I let you slide, it would be off with my head next! I hate to say it, Ace, but I'm gonna need you to leave before Riddle spots you. Thanx."

"I... think this guy is for real." Ace turns to you and Deuce. "You guys, do something!"

Deuce crossed his arms. "Why should WE do anything?"

"C'mon, please! I can't use magic! Hurry, he's-"

Carter put his hands on Ace's shoulders and forcibly moved him towards the front gate. "Okay, just out the door you go."

You watch dumbfounded by the spectacle. You and Deuce glance at each other, he shrugs. With a sigh, you follow Ace out the entrance. Carter closes the gate and salutes you.

"Do make sure you bring that tart next time, m'kay? Buh-bye now!"

Ace glared at Carter's retreating from. "So lemme get this straight: we walked in there, totally tartless, but this dude still made us do that whole song and dance before throwing us out? He just wanted to make us paint his stupid roses!" He let out a frustrated growl.

Grim folded his arms. "We sure look like a bunch of chumps."

Deuce sighed. "I guess we'll just have to get an apology tart and come back. Maybe after class, we can- Oh no!"

"What's wrong?" You ask.

Deuce looks at you in panic. "We already missed the first bell! We're gonna be late for class!"

Your eyes widen. I can't be late on my first day!

"Myah! I don't wanna get a blemish on the first day of my glorious Night Raven education!" Grim hops onto your shoulder. "Shake a leg, chumps! To the classroom, pronto!"

"Hey, so what class are you guys in, anyway?" Ace asked curiously. "You're freshmen too, right?"

Grim nods. "The headmage said we're in Class 1-A!"

Deuce smiles. "Hey, that's the same one I'm in. We got Potionology for first period." Deuce was relieved that he would be able to spend more time with you even though it was during class.

Grim rubbed his paws together in excitement. "Oh ho, yeah! That sounds awesome!"

Ace rubbed the back of his neck. "M-maybe I don't need magic for that?"