Chapter XII | New Beginnings

15.

𝐒𝐞𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟏, 𝟏𝟗𝟖𝟒

𝐒𝐞𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟏, 𝟏𝟗𝟖𝟒

𝐍𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐨𝐫'𝐬 𝐏𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭 𝐎𝐟 𝐕𝐢𝐞𝐰

As the days passed by, Heath found himself evermore stuck in dwellings upon his life's circumstances amidst the revelation of his girlfriend Audrey's pregnancy. Although feelings were still lingering, the couple were able to find some sort of stability since being together. They found a small one-bedroom, furnished apartment in the city to stay at temporarily, they also had taken up jobs as a waitress and busboy to make ends meet. Although it wasn't the ideal lifestyle they'd prefer, they were still grateful to have a roof over their heads and a small peace to call their own. As they settled into their new lifestyle, they began to embrace the changes in their life. Each morning they'd wake up ready to face whatever lied ahead for the day. They were determined to provide for their child and future together, and prove their parents wrong in the belief of their incapability. They knew it would be quite a hard, yet humbling experience for the both of them, being young parents themselves.

"Heath, do you ever think about what our lives will be like when the baby arrives?" Audrey asked as her voice tinged with a bit of hope and apprehension.

Heath paused in his tracks towards the door, before looking over to the girl who was combing her hair in the bedroom's vanity mirror.

"Sometimes," he replied softly.

"Well, I think about her all the time. I can't wait to meet our little one," Audrey said.

"Why her?" Heath questioned.

"Oh, I guess I'm just hopeful for a girl," Audrey replied with a smile.

Heath didn't want to tell Audrey but he also was hopeful that they'd have a little girl as well. He admired Audrey so much, he wanted a daughter to protect and grow up to be strong and beautiful just like her.

"It doesn't matter what the baby will be, just as long as they're healthy," Heath replied before strolling over to Audrey to give her a kiss on the forehead.

"Yea, I know," Audrey replied before turning around to look up at Heath, her eyes filled with a hint of worry.

"What's wrong?" Heath asked as he stared into her eyes.

"Nothing, I guess everything is just starting to sink in, you know," she replied.

Heath gently reached out to brush a strand of hair away from Audrey's face, as he looked to her with a look of understanding before merely saying, "I understand, Audrey. I know things are a lot to take in right now but we'll get through this remember, just like you said. I promise."