24 | The Stranger with A Scar

Start from the beginning

Her feet finally moved when Idyna tugged at their linked arms. Her eyes glanced around, trying to take it all in as if the enchanting scene before her would soon vanish like a fleeting dream.

At the far end of the grand hall, an elegant stage commanded attention. Poised upon it, an orchestra adorned in radiant uniforms of shimmering gold. Most ladies wore dresses and the men, along with a decent amount of women in golden suits. The conductor stood alone, a striking figure in his sleek white suit. The melodies their instruments created set the room in a peaceful ambiance as Karyn's heart thrummed to the pull of the violin.

Some steps away from the orchestra, Karyn could see Lady Minerva looking like a burst of sunlight in her yellow ball gown and flanked on the sides by Gema and Marcela. A wave of relief settled over her at the sight of a healthy Marcela.

Idyna's voice was close enough to rise above the chatter and pull Karyn's eyes from the orchestra.

"The first thing to do is to meet the host of the ball or the celebrant. Unless you're early, then you wait till they make their grand entry," Idyna said as they ambled toward Lady Minerva.

"Who's the celebrant of this ball?" she asked.

"That, Lin—Karyn, would be you," Idyna said and flashed her a warm smile.

Karyn's eyes returned to the surrounding people, catching their questioning stares and hushed whispers.

A surge of self-consciousness coursed through her. Was there a blemish on her dress? A smudge in her makeup? Or was it simply because they had never seen her at these functions? But could they easily tell a stranger apart in the dense crowd?

Idyna caught on to her discomfort. "Don't worry about them. I'm sure it's because you're unfamiliar or you're familiar. And your dress catches the light perfectly."

"Thanks, but familiar in what way?"

Idyna couldn't voice her response as they had reached Lady Minerva, who let out a gasp and fixed her hand on her chest.

"You look so much like your mother right now. Come here my darling," Lady Minerva said with extended arms, and Idyna uncircled her arms from Karyn's, who then reached forward and leaned into the hug.

"You look so beautiful, my dear," Lady Minerva said as they pulled apart. "Your mother almost always had her hair in the same way, adorned with the flower crowns she loved to make. She loved to do the same hairstyle for you, but you would make such a fuss of sitting for so long."

Lady Minerva dabbed her eyes with a white handkerchief before Gema placed a hand on the lady's shoulder.

"Oh, look at me getting emotional. Now, now. I must introduce you to our crowd. They have been waiting," Lady Minerva said and took Karyn's hands, whose heart sped up.

She had stood and spoken in front of crowds before, but not in front of a crowd like this and not as a Silverein.

A clinking of a spoon on glass resonated around the room before the audience descended in silence. Countless pairs of eyes settled on the stage she highlighted with Lady Minerva.

"Thank you, once again, for coming and making this ball worth the while. You all have never failed to show up and be here for me and all of us. For the first time in ten years. For the first time since the tragedy that struck The White Castle, we have reached a turning point. We are no longer in the dark because now, Lin Silverein is en route to The White Castle, to Wlerden, and our people.

"Our Wielders for long have searched for her, the rightful heiress to the throne. That search was not in vain because now we have her! Now we have hope! Ladies and gentlemen, we gathered here for one reason, for one person. Lin Silverein and Princess of Wlerden, daughter of the late King Driando Vidarr Herionva and Queen Morrigan Herionva, Princess Karynanda Demelza Betuselli Herionva!" Lady Minerva said and gestured a hand toward Karyn before the audience erupted in a deafening cheer.