37. ┊ unspoken words of appreciation

"My disciples, rejoice! Behold, the God of Anemo, Barbatos has descended!" Venti proclaimed, his voice echoing in the walls of the cathedral as a prolonged silence filled the room

It went quiet, and you could almost hear the mental facepalms as the nun gave an unimpressed look.

"He might have a few screws loose." Mona whispered to you and Aether, watching the scene with second-hand embarrassment.

"You think?" Aether sighed as he raised an eyebrow, unamused.

Venti turned back with a disappointed frown on his face. The nun he spoke to earlier had walked away, assuming that he had lost his mind.

"Well, any more ideas on how to get the Holy Lyre der Himmel?" Venti crossed his arms, his eyes scanning between the three of you as he waited expectantly for an answer or two.

Knowing how this would end, you spoke up, "Are you sure we even need it?"

"Nonsense, of course we need it. How else will we be able to cure Dvalin?" Venti brushed off your suggestion."We can always just steal it, too." He shrugged.

"S... Steal?!" Mona exclaimed, her voice resounding off the halls before Venti immediately covered her mouth.

"This could be our only chance to save Dvalin, we have to take it!" Venti said in a serious voice, his eyes showing determination.

"If we really have to come down to that, then I want no part." Mona huffed, rejecting the proposal of the idea.

Venti started, "Then that leaves..." His eyes trailed to you and Aether.

Aether flinched, "You want Y/N and I to steal it for you?" Aether glanced at you, a confused expression on his face.

"Uh— I also want no part in this." You quickly refuted despite the calm in your voice.

"It's too late, we've already decided that you two are stealing it." Venti shook his head, turning down your refusal.

A collective thought ran through yours, Mona's, and Aether's mind.

'Who's we?!'

Yet, you and Aether eventually found yourselves in the basement of the cathedral. Mona had walked out along with Venti, and they were now waiting outside for the two of you to retrieve the lyre.

You and Aether were kneeling behind a desk, trying to spot any blind spots in the Knights' surveillance.

A tired look was on your face. You already knew what would happen, yet you still did it. What would Diluc think afterwards? This was just exhausting...

And— just as it was supposed to play out— a Fatui cicin mage had suddenly appeared to steal the lyre, framing you and Aether as the culprits in the process.

However, it was strange. For only a second, your eyes locked with the cicin mage. She had a taunting smirk on her face, as if she knew all about you. Did she recognize you? That wouldn't be out of the ordinary— after all you were an important person in the Fatui. Yet... it felt like she was looking down at a child.