29. ┊ act of goodwill

Your eyes shot open, and you immediately sat up

Your eyes shot open, and you immediately sat up. You winced, the sunshine blinding your eyes as soon as you opened them.

You blinked a few times before you fully adjusted, now able to take in the view of your surroundings.

You were in an extravagant bed, the bedcovers not too thick nor too thin. As your eyes followed the decor of the room, you took notice of the richness in the small details.

You had little to no recollection of anything that happened before you fainted. Where were you exactly?

You thought hard, trying to recall back to the last thing you saw.

There were flames, really warm flames and... red hair?

Your face dropped instantly as you came to a realization, and you flipped your legs over to the side of the bed. You wobbled as you stood up, but you needed to get out and fast.

You felt lightheaded, as if you were going to keel over at any given moment. However, you ignored it completely. You just needed to focus on slipping out without any of the servants noticing.

You twisted the doorknob and opened the door as quietly as you could, peeking out to see if there was anyone out there.

There was no one outside the room, seemingly vacant.

"That's strange..." You thought to yourself before stepping out of the room, keeping your steps light to avoid as much sound as possible. You quickly headed down the steps, as there seemed to be no one around.

You didn't know why Diluc rescued you, or why he took you in. You figured that he was probably just seeking to use your ability too.

You now stood in front of the entrance to the winery. Your hand reached for the handle, and you grasped it.

Only then, you heard a voice.

"Where do you think you're going?" Diluc's voice startled you from behind. You tensed up before slowly turning around, meeting his eyes.

"...We meet again, Diluc." You spoke quietly, yet the hostility in your voice could still be heard.

Diluc was holding a white towel in his arms, and he merely let out a sigh, "Go and wash up, I already have the servants cooking a meal for you."

You blinked. Before you went over to him, there was a slight hesitation that kept you from going.

You snatched the towel from his hands while avoiding eye contact, "...Where's the bathroom?"

"Upstairs, on the right." Diluc told you simply, ignoring and brushing off your harsh attitude. You turned away as soon as he said that, speaking of nothing else.

As you were about to walk back up the stairs, Diluc's voice stopped you again, "After you're done, there are matters I wish to discuss with you."

You were still for a moment, and there was a refusal to turn or say anything to him. You continued up the steps, choosing to only nod slowly in response.