06. ┊ misfortune of the balladeer

"Welcome back, son

"Welcome back, son. Did you start the fire already?" Ajax's father spoke abruptly, startling the both of you.

"Y-Yes I did!" Ajax quickly responded, "And.... I found someone here too!" He pointed over at you.

You saw his father's eyes trail from Ajax over to you, his face morphing into one of shock.

"A child?" His father whispered under his breath, confused as to why there was a five year old in the woods alone.

"U-Um... Can I- Can I stay with you?" You innocently asked, making yourself stutter in the process. "I got separated from my mother and father... I'm lost and can't go anywhere..."

Ajax's father was deep in contemplation. After all, he had his own son to take care of. But, he was still a father, and no father would just let a five year old roam free in woods as dark as those.

"Of course, little one." Ajax's father rubbed your head gently, although it still messed up your hair. You were surprised, was it really okay for him to act like an affectionate father to some random kid?

"R... Thank you..." You were unsure of what to say. It wasn't often in your past life that you were treated with immediate kindness, especially from your father, so it was almost like a new experience.

"Ajax, are you okay with sharing your tent?" His father asked, turning back to his son.

Ajax nodded excitedly, "Mhm!"

"What about you?" His father switched back to you, awaiting your answer.

"That's okay." You gave your approval. You didn't want to hog an entire tent to yourself anyways, considering the fact that you were a complete stranger.

"Then it's settled. I happen to have an extra sleeping bag, you can use it until we leave the forest." Ajax's father added, he then went ahead to the tents. From the looks of it, he seemed to be grabbing something from his bags.

It was just you and Ajax again, sitting near the fire pit. It was silent for a moment, just listening to the sparks of the fire.

Ajax then looked at you, "Tomorrow, me and father are going ice-fishing in the lake right there. Do you want to join us?" He questioned, giving you an invite on whether or not you wanted to try it out.

You pondered for a bit before giving him an answer, "Um... I don't know." You replied to him, uncertain of what to do.

"Aw... Okay, well, we'll just be right there if you want to join us." Ajax frowned, however he quickly regained his positive attitude.

Just as you and Ajax finished your conversation, his father came back out from the darkness.

"I finished setting up your sleeping bag! Now, how about some dinner?" His father grinned, pulling out three fish skewers. "I caught these earlier when you went exploring, Ajax. Let them cook for a bit and then we'll eat."