22. ┊ stars of the abyss

Your eyes stared up at the clouds, dazed as you watched as the clouds drifted

It had been three years. The days when you were 14 in your previous life had become similar to a dream, yet they were still as real to you as when you woke up in this world.

You were 16, huh?

Officially two years older than the age you had died at.

Lost in thought, your attention was fixed on the clouds and completely ignoring anything around you.

"Wait! I-It's them!"

"R-R-Run!"

"They're the Bringers of Entropy! Get away!"

Unfortunately for them, it had already been too late. The area was engulfed in a plume of hydro energy, affecting every living person in the proximity.

Ajax's dual swords slashed through the group of treasure hoarders, leaving none to escape. Those who failed to run away in time had been struck down fast, and the situation at hand had ended in seconds.

Ajax wiped the excess blood that landed on his cheek, and it was then that he noticed your figure that hadn't moved the entire time.

To have the hands of time still moving for you after your designated death was a strange feeling. To be alive at 16 while having died at 14 in your past life was nothing short of a bitter taste of shame. It felt almost wrong to be older.

You felt as though you were supposed to stay dead at 14, to never be reborn in the world of the game that brought you endorsement.

Was it truly okay to just continue forward?

Still traversing your thoughts, you hadn't noticed the ocean-eyed ginger sneaking up behind you.

Ajax gave you a slight plush, startling you out of your daze.

"Comrade, what are you thinking about?" Ajax asked gleefully.

You regained stability and shot around to look at him, gritting your teeth as you hissed out, "You-!"

"Ah, so you were thinking of me?" He interrupted, a sneering look on his face.

There was a long, awkward silence.

"No." You cringed, hard.

"You couldn't at least laugh?!" Ajax whined, disappointed that he didn't get a reaction. You gave him a smug smile before glancing away.

A lot had changed in the past three years. After the incident with Scaramouche, you and Ajax had been assigned more missions together. It seemed that the incident showed how well the two of you worked together. So much so, that instead of working with your designated divisions, you and Ajax primarily took on missions together.

This was when you two became known as two strongarms of the Fatui, better known as "the Bringers of Entropy".

This sparked anger within Scaramouche, who was reluctant to have you so close to danger.