I don't want to recreate a balcony scene

Eden

Cold, fresh air suddenly meets my face right after I open my dorm room door. I kick off my shoes and travel towards the flowing curtains that line the entrance of the room's balcony. The doors are open; I immediately know that Fox is out there so I go to join her with our breakfast.

My intuition was correct, Fox was out and sitting on the balcony. I wish I could say she was sitting on a chair, though, because I found her literally sitting on the railing.

"Fox! Oh my god, are you insane? Get down from there." I shrieked as I put down our breakfast on a table and rushed towards where my careless sister decided was a safe place to sit.

After hearing my calls, Fox's body shifts towards me and I see a sleepy smile spread across her face. "It's nice... hah...I'm not going to fall." She says sleepily to my face which is twisted into a reaction of shock and insanity. She does not realize how much of an idiot she can be sometimes.

I debate whether or not I should pull Fox back over to the floor side of the balcony when she swings her legs around towards me and dismounts the railing in one fluid motion. A sigh of relief escapes from me and I try to relax. My eyes then follow Fox as she finally moves to a chair, a place where she is supposed to sit.

"You scared me!" I say at her careless position.

"What can I say? I'm naturally terrifying." Is her reply and then she goes on to express how it felt amazing and doesn't regret anything.

She continues to give me a soft smile and I can only feel sympathy for her. With the blessing of her brave, yet idiotic, personality, I question how she is still alive.

Breaking the silence, I told her about the types of foods there were in the kitchen today and what I ended up getting her. Thankfully, she was happy about her food. She expressed her gratitude for it and started to eat. I settled into the chair across from her and started to pick at my food. The scare just now kind of made me lose my will to eat. Not only that, but the fruit I grabbed looked rotten, how did I not see that?

I managed to eat a few bites and then stood up to grab a glass of water from the room. I told Fox where I was going and offered to get her one too. Our mornings are usually filled with basic conversation but when I can back to the outdoors I couldn't help but comment on Fox's appearance.

"I'm only saying this because I love you, but you look insane right now." I chuckle as I stare at her wild hair and mismatched pajamas.

Fox finds my comment funny but shoots her own statement back.

"Not as insane as you looked when you got dumped in the 6th grade."

"You didn't have to bring that up!" I say flustered but I can't help but giggle at the memory.

"I never liked that guy anyway. I know you're very open-minded, Eden, but you should have not ignored that guy's red flags."

I send her an eye roll and reluctantly agree, he was a total jerk, but it was 6th grade so there wasn't much variety.

"Oh!" Fox says and puts down her food in an excited manner.

"You know who does show total green flags though?" Fox continues

"Hmm?"

"Arlo."

I groan and put my head in my hands to keep her from seeing my flustered face. Last night she had pointed out how I seemed interested in him during our dinner but I just denied it and thought that was going to be the end of it. I should have known better.

"So you do like him." Fox accused.

"No! Well, I don't know. Ugh, feelings are hard."

My sister's face softens and she puts her hand on top of mine.

"It's totally alright if you have feelings for him. It might even work out, he seemed to enjoy your company last night. You should at least try to hang out with him more so you can sort out your feelings." She says and I simply nod to her advice. I suppose it would be okay if I did have feelings.

"Oh.. that does remind me, I did see him today."

"What!" Fox rears back in laughter, "How was this not the first thing to tell me?"

"Well, your little balcony shenanigan wipes my memory of anything else."

"My bad, but go on, what do you mean, did you just see him or did you talk with him?"

I go on to tell her about seeing Arlo in the hallway and how this isn't a big deal because it wasn't a big interaction. Fox continues to grin at me as I explain, though. She is never going to let me hear to end of this so I attempt to change the conversation.

"You know what else happened? There's a new rumor going around saying their royals going missing." This worked and I'm not surprised that it hadn't.

Fox's face immediately changes to concern and asks me if I know more. I really don't know much about it, maybe there will be something in the paper later about it as I am still curious about where and why this is happening.

"Yeah, this is definitely a terrible thing." She responds finally after staring down at her food for a while. I had started to feel bad about making her lose her will to eat as well. She then goes on to say that we'll have to keep an eye out for any more news about this and that she can't image being in the position those royals are in. I agree.

I ended that conversation here, I did not mean to create a miserable energy, so I quickly got up and started clearing our table. Fox jumps up and helps me, not once did we bring up previous conversations again.

─────── ✿ ───────

Oh my! The total word count for the story above was 999. Welp, hope this is a good sign for all of you. I also hope that you enjoyed this chapter. I can reassure you that there are more scenes coming up with some action in them. 

Have a great day <3