Chapter 13

Inside, the Elite Training section looks like a standard workout gym which turns into indoor gardens, and a lake. Surreal.

The school students with the strongest Force are standing around stretching and chatting—until they see me. The silence is glacial.

Damon and Jak drag me into a change room and make me put on a Jedi robe. I feel ridiculous. Halloween For One.

When we come out, you don't need The Force to sense the hate in the air. Two Jedis stand in front of the students. One is an older veteran with a scar down the side of his face. I've seen him at the noodle bar. The other is a Togruta who looks to be in her mid-twenties. Like everyone else, they're staring at me.

Running away would look bad. Right?

"Is this a joke?" Surprise, it's one of Amber's clique. He has a crew cut and is always running or lifting something.

"Shouldn't The Emissary be trained?" says the Togruta.

"He's not a real Emissary. He has no Force." The guy glares at me. "We all know how he got this gig. The Red Enforcer needs to stop thinking with what's between his legs."

Oh man. How am I gonna hide this? When Red finds out what Crew Cut said, he'll show up just to drown the douche in that fake lake. Why are all the idiots in this high school so eager to float? They need to focus less on teaching these privileged twats how to use The Force, and more on teaching them how to use their brains.

Someone guffaws behind me. Turning, I find an old Jedi with a beard standing so close, I jump. When did he get here?!

"Oh man. How am I gonna hide this? When Red finds out what Crew Cut said, he'll show up just to drown the douche in that fake lake. Why are all the idiots in this high school so eager to float? They need to focus less on teaching these privileged twats how to use The Force, and more on teaching them how to use their brains." He turns to me. "Did I miss anything?"

The room is deadly silent. If only a sinkhole would swallow me right this second. One of the few Jedi in the galaxy who can read minds, and he chooses to be here, in our school gym. Lucky me.

The old Jedi shuffles forward, gait uneven. Stopping in front of Crew Cut, he says, "Our new student isn't insulted. Instead, he's worrying about hiding your words from his Enforcer. Why do you think that is?"

Crew Cut gulps. A lot of the students look terrified. It's creeping me out but I try not to think about it, knowing the Jedi is listening in to my thoughts, SOMETHING DAMON COULD HAVE MENTIONED.

Suddenly, Crew Cut flies through the air, landing in the fake lake. That's not so bad. He gets up, only to fall back in the water. The old man won't let him come up for air. Every time he fights to the surface, The Force pushes him back down again. The guy is drowning in front of us.

I wait for someone to intervene. Nobody moves, not even the other instructors. I look at Damon, but his eyes are locked on the ground. When I glance at Jeremy, he shakes his head in warning.

Too bad. What are they gonna do, kick me out of a class I don't wanna be in?

"Thank you." Stepping forward, I wait till the old Jedi stares at me, and then bow. "The Red Enforcer will be satisfied you intervened on his behalf. He would also stop the punishment at my request." I pause, and then add, in case it wasn't clear, "I'm telling you to stop."

A few people gasp. Instead of finding myself half-drowned too—which I expected—Crew Cut is pulled from the lake, floating over to collapse at the feet of the old Jedi while coughing up water.

"See? The Emissary is outside the Jedi power structure, yet familiar with it. Observing for years. Like a shadow you have forgotten. He sees your weaknesses. The boy is the greatest threat to you all, and your greatest ally." Spinning, he points at one of the students. "Exactly. Say it."

I don't know the guy's name, but I do know he transferred in recently. I think his dad works with my mum. I've heard girls talk about his smooth dark skin, dreamy eyes, and killer abs. Apparently, he's the strong, silent type.

"The Red Enforcer is a threat to the Sith, and a danger to the Jedi. One of the most powerful Jedis to have ever lived, and difficult to control." His gaze flickers my way. "The only person who can truly control him, is someone he chooses to allow to control him. He chose to give that power to the boy. Winning him over is imperative, if we want to survive."

Boy? We're pretty much the same age, dude.

The old man nods, before zeroing in on me again. "Why did he choose you?"

Is he trying to Force the truth out of me? Private. Private. "It's private."

He nods, as if satisfied. "I sense you have an idea why the bond exists, yet I can't find it, even with The Force. Your willpower is impressive."

"So, how does one gain an ally?" He asks the transfer.

"Enemies or allies, similar tactics. Bribe. Befriend. Intimidate. Seduce. Whatever form of manipulation is most likely to gain your objective." He turns to me. "How did you do it?"

If I had The Force, I would throw this teacher's pet in the lake, and hold him under myself.

"You can all suck it."

My words seem to shock them more than the near-drowning. Even the Jedi veteran instructor grunts in surprise.

"I won't be joining your class."

I head for the change room to take off this ridiculous robe.

Damon grabs my arm. "Jak, don't-"

"Shut up!" He looks shocked, but lets go.

With each step, the rage swells. Which is weird, I don't usually feel this way? What's going on? My skin is almost—too tight.

Changing back into my clothes quickly, I try to stop shaking. Grabbing my bag, I turn to leave, just as the old Jedi appears in the doorway.

He stares, but kind of at the air around me? "Who did this?"

What is he talking about?

"You don't know. And more than one layer. Recently, too." He doesn't seem angry. Stunned, maybe? What am I missing? "In the future, when you wish to know, I will help."

Know what?

Removing a pendant from around his neck, he offers it to me. "Wear this, and emotions won't overwhelm you again."

The pendant is a dark gray stone carved into the shape of an animal I don't recognize. Putting it on, I feel instantly calmer. WTH.

"I apologize," he says gruffly. "The class will not focus on you in the future. You may leave today, but return tomorrow."

I want to say no because I hate it here. But if 'm going to help Red, I need to stay in this class, even if it's just to figure out how to not end up dead while he's working.

Meeting the old man's eyes, I decide to trust him. For now. He wants to protect Jedis from the threat of Red. To him, I'm part of that equation, so he'll protect me in his own way.

Plus, he did dunk Crew Cut in the water for me.

I forgot he can hear my thoughts. With a chuckle he says, "I'm glad I lived to meet you," and shocks me by ruffling my hair.

Life gets weirder on the daily.