Chapter 9

I wake to 5 people standing at the end of the hotel bed, staring at me.

This is getting ridiculous.

Jof, Damon, Anna, Alex, and her rizz brother Jeremy are in uniform. School must be over.

"You okay?" Jof almost whispers.

Anna plops onto the bed. "Your hot Enforcer friend let us in. He said if you're sick of room service, buy us pizza."

"He didn't say pizza." Alex frowns.

My brain is half-asleep. Why are the Principal's kids here?

"I want pizza." Anna strokes the sheet. "Serious thread count, Jak."

"You okay?" Jof seems stuck on the question. His fingers grip the strap of his bag so tight, they're bloodless.

"Yeah, Red's healer friend Kesha fixed me." Damon has the strangest look on his face. Do I have bedhead? "Can you wait till I shower?"

Jaw clenched, he nods.

"Sure." The minifridge has Anna's undivided attention. "Take your time."

Washing my body and hair till the soothing citrus scent of orange shower gel is everywhere, I try to calm down.

They're your friends, I tell myself.

Most of them.

Sort of.

This time, a black robe hangs on the bathroom door. Should I borrow Red's clothes? No, they'd swim on me. The robe is less cringe.

My reflection looks different. Eyes brighter, skin clear. I feel fresh and alive. Only a few bruises.

Back in the room, they're lounging on the couch and the floor like I'm throwing a party.

"Another robe?" Anna raises a brow. "Does Red like it? No cap, your chest is way nicer than expected. Kinda hot, with the wet hair and smooth skin."

WTH? Pulling the robe shut, I glare at her. "I don't have clothes."

"That guy took your clothes?" Alex gets to her feet. "Jak, do you need help?"

"You can trust us," says her brother.

Hilarious. Like I'd trust Mr Perfect School President.

"Is he hurting you?" Damon's eyes narrow.

"What? No! Red ditched my clothes because of, you know, the blood everywhere."

They freeze. And then Damon freaks me out with a sniffling sound.

Jeremy says what I'm thinking. "I've never seen you cry. "

Anna pats Damon on the back. "Jak gave him a menty-b."

Kneeling next to Damon, I pat his shoulder. "Hey, I'm good." He doesn't look convinced. Taking his hand, I tell the truth. "I'm so hungry, Damon. Let's have pizza."

Damon almost laughs. "You're always hungry." Wiping away tears, he says, "Why didn't you call for help?"

"No time. The window was it. Plus, I couldn't think straight after hitting my head, and I'm not sure where my phone is. I keep sleeping."

"It's the healing." Alex's eyes slide to my chest. "That's why your skin's glowy. All The Force."

Huh. My stomach rumbles. I walk to the nightstand. "Jof, order pizza on your phone, with the extra fast delivery fee. Garlic bread. Wings. I don't know. Order everything."