Chapter 7

Everything hurts. Where am I?

"Jak."

Is that Red? I try to make him out through the fog. My thoughts are cloudy.

"Jak."

Walking toward the sound of his voice, I find a thick dark wooden door standing on its own.

The pain is getting worse... What's wrong with my leg?

"Jak, let me in."

That's Red on the other side. I know it.

Walking forward, I grab the handle and pull, but the door won't open. I pull harder, until eventually it slides the tiniest bit open...

Light floods the space, blinding me. The pain starts to lessen.

Suddenly, I'm falling. The ground is gone. Nothing but endless air.

I land hard, and can't help coughing at the impact. The sunlight is strange. Somehow cold. Under my hands, the grass is almost too green, the dirt almost black.

Getting to my feet, I look around. What is this place? How did I get here?

Fields stretch in every direction, broken only by rolling hills. In the fields at the foot of the hills, are purple flowers. They flow in the breeze, like a beautiful blanket, almost as if they're alive.

I've never seen anything like it. Where am I?

"Little One," says a voice behind me. The two words reverberate through my body, as if some part of me is drawn to the power in the old man's voice. "Where are you?"

Turning to answer the stranger, I jolt awake in bed—except it's not my bed. The room is epic, lots of sleek furniture worth more than everything I own. The sheets feel smooth. I must be in the hotel.

And I'm not alone.

A woman lies on the bed next to me. I've never seen her before. As I stare, she turns her head, and meets my eyes. The bright gold color stands out against her dark skin and hair.

Another out of towner, I guess, around Red's age. Her Jedi robe has a pattern of colors sewn along the rim of the hood and the edges of the sleeves, a braid of purple and blue silk. Cool. 

"How do you feel?"

Sitting up, I wince.

"Go slow," she warns. "I had a hard time getting you to let The Force in." She has that look on her face Red had when we first met, like I'm a puzzle.

"You're a healer?" When she nods, I say, "Thanks. I was a bit busted up."

She raises a brow. "For real. You had 2 broken ribs, a concussion, a broken bone in your foot, and were still wandering around. I hear your mom is salty about Red." Sitting up, she crosses her legs. "What you did was wild. Nice to meet you, I'm Kesha."

I nod, feeling shy. Like Red, she's beautiful, cool, and dripping with The Force.

"Are you Red's girlfriend?"

She bursts out laughing. "Do I look crazy? No, we're old friends who work together. I was in a nearby city when he asked me to come fix you."

"Sorry for ruining your schedule."

"Hey, I was dying to meet the kid he took as an Emissary. It was a great excuse." She stops. "Obviously not great for you."

Should I ask? "Bet I'm disappointing, compared to his other Emissaries."

Kesha's mouth drops open. "Didn't he tell you? Red doesn't use Emissaries. You're the first." She winks. "If he's too much to handle, let me know. I'll spill the tea on him anytime."