Chapter 5

I used to wonder what is it like, having the whole school spill tea about you. Turns out it sucks. Stares. Glares. Whispers. Teachers too. Creepy AF and messed up. I miss being invisible.

I can't shake the fact every Jedi saw mom try and strip my rights. Dad didn't argue. My parents think I'm less than a person, and everyone knows.

Can't cry in class. I've never cried in front of anyone, not even that time Amber and her loser friends crushed my hand in a locker door. No tears. I won't let them fall. I won't.

Red. Think about Red.

We just met, but the Enforcer believes in me. Anna and Damon. Always Joffa, even though he didn't say much after the scene at the dome. Nobody said much on the way to school, they were too shook and the bus was crowded.

Red's scarf smells expensive, probably off-world aftershave. That guy is so boujee. I keep the scarf on like a shield, and make it to lunch.

"Every Jedi kid thinks I stole their chance to be a star," I complain to Joffa at our usual spot under a tree in the far corner. Nice and quiet, perfect place to eat lunch.

...Without the lunch. Crowded cafeteria? No-go. I'd rather eat grass.

Joffa doesn't answer, eyes locked on his lunchbox. Is he mad?

"You did," Anna plops down next to Joffa, who almost chokes, "and it was awesome."

"Shouldn't you be Queen Bee in the cafeteria?"

"Please." She unwraps her fancy roll, taking a huge bite. "Imagine Amber right now, playing the victim. I'd throw up."

Joffa starts eating like a rabbit. Tiny bites and a lotta chewing. What's up with him?

Before I can ask, Damon sits next to me. "How could you not mention meeting the Red Enforcer last night? Why were you out that late?"

"What are you, my keeper?" Pulling at a piece of grass, I wonder if it tastes bad.

With a sigh, Damon shoves half of his sandwich into my hand. "Things are about to get complicated."

Joffa gets to his feet. "Later."

WTH?

Anna grabs his wrist like a snake striking. "Don't even think about it. You need to stop pulling that crap about everyone knowing their place. Sit down, Jof."

"You only think we're equal because-"

"I'm a privileged Jedi princess. I get it. I suck. Sit down."

They know each other? I've never seen them talk at school.

"Let go, Anna." Joffa's gaze slides to Damon. "I don't fit in here."

Is he seriously lumping me in with the Jedi elite? That hurts.

"Forget that stuff," says Damon. "We're here because Jak needs us. He needs you too because he trusts you the most. I know you don't like me, but this is about your friend."

Wait, Joffa doesn't like Damon? Everyone likes Damon. What did I miss?

"Trusts me? He didn't tell me." Sitting down again, Joffa starts eating, but not before I catch the hurt in his eyes.

"I'm sorry Jof. I was going to tell you about meeting Red, I swear. Everyone thinks it's cools, but it was embarrassing. He saved me from some low grade Sith. It's pathetic that I can't look after myself. Facts." Taking a bite of Damon's sandwich helps me stop talking.

Yum. I love turkey and mayo.

"Sith?" Anna raises a brow. "On our side?"

Uh oh. "Not exactly."