Chapter 10

He can't be serious. A Force Pact? To protect me?!

I wait for the others to talk him out of it.

"Good idea," says Anna. "I'm in."

"Me too," says Jof.

WTH IS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW.

"I'll join," says Alex.

"Same," says Jeremy which is insane. The guy doesn't even know me?!

A knock on the hotel door offers an out from the craziest situation I've been in. Well, for a day or two. My life is outta control.

At least there's pizza. 

Damon uses The Force to make everything piping hot. Once that would bother me. Today I'm mostly grateful. 

Stay calm. Focus on the food. The supreme with pineapple is bussin.

I eat 2 slices before losing it. "Are you all high?!"

"No," says Anna. "Look at us."

"I see cool Jedi kids powered up and having fun,  who aren't thinking straight."

"You got it wrong," says Damon.

"You think we came to hang in a hotel?" Jof shakes his head in disbelief.

"He probably thinks nobody noticed he wasn't around," mutters Alex.

Anna frowns. "Bad take."

A blush creeps across my face. I thought they might feel bad, and then forget. 

"It's been a living nightmare," says Jeremy, "since they heard what happened."

"Once I got out, I was safe with Red."

"You wandered the streets covered in blood and then moved in with a powerful stranger. The Enforcer could do anything," he tilts his head, "and none of them would be able to stop him."

A loaded silence settles. Chewing on another slice, I look at them properly.

Damon's eyes are shadowed. Anna's smile is brittle. Jof can't bring himself to meet my gaze. Alex keeps acting as if she's at a pep rally.

I know what it's like to pretend you're okay. I spent most of my life faking it. They're not okay. Worse, I ghosted them. How did I get it so wrong?

"Sorry I hit you," I tell Jeremy. I've never hit anyone before. It hurt.

He rubs his red cheek. "We need to teach you to fight. Jedi's are used to wielding The Force. Physical violence can take them by surprise."

Interesting. I pack that away for later.

We finish the meal in silence. I've never eaten so much, and that's saying something. Gulping down the garlic bread, I think about what they're offering.

"I don't want anyone to get hurt because of me."

"I know," says Damon. "But you need us. Something is going on, and you're in the thick of it."

"It's not just fighting," says Jof. "We can teach you other stuff."

"And give you the info on Jedis," says Anna. "Secrets Red won't know."

"Or we could just hang out," mumbles Alex, surprising me.

"Why not?" says Jeremy. "If you're turning over a new leaf, why not go all in?"

This guy seems to get me. How wild. Me and a Jedi poster boy should not be on the same page.

Truth is, I'm scared to have friends. What if I let them down?