Chapter 6

Mom and dad aren't home. A part of me wants to get the fight over and done with. Another part is over the drama. Nobody will win this argument.

Making instant ramen, I head upstairs to my room, and wait for the noodles to cook.

Every Jedi can make instant ramen. Really instant. Doesn't take much Force to speed up the process. Even kids can make ramen. Like, little kids pour water in, add a bit of Force, and it's done.

How can I be an Emissary when I can't even make noodles? And what does an Emissary do? Should have asked that earlier.

Throwing myself on the bed, I stare at the roof, covered in glowing star-shaped stickers. Mom thinks they're embarrassing, a reminder I can't even conjure fake starlight. Joffa saw them once, when he came over for an assignment. He liked them.

They're different. Life is boring when everyone is the same, Jak.

I knew in that moment he really was my friend.

With a sigh, I wonder if Red is still asleep. Guess I just have to wait for him to call. Taking out my phone, I send Jof a message.

Went home. Tell Damon n Anna thanks. CU2moro.

Staring at the stars, I wish like I always do, that I could fly away. Just be another boring person in space. Find a place where no one talks about The Force because no one has it.

I'm going to disappoint Red, I know it. I've never disappointed anybody before. Nobody expects anything of me...

I must have fallen asleep. When I wake, mom and dad are downstairs and the noodle container is cold to the touch.

Opening my bedroom door quietly, I try to hear what they're saying.

"What can we do?" Dad sounds exhausted. "And why does the Red Enforcer want him? Do you think Jak slept with him?"

Have they seen Red? Why would he hook up with me?!

"I don't know. If Jak knew how dangerous Enforcers are, he wouldn't have agreed."

"He doesn't have friends. Maybe it was the attention." Dad pauses. "Do you think the Enforcer knows?"

Wait, knows what?

"He couldn't. But I won't let this happen. Jak can't be around him." Mom sounds angry and determined. Always a bad sign.

Time to face the music. I'm halfway down the stairs when mom announces, "We should break his legs."

WTAF. I freeze. Horror and shock make my heart pound. I must have heard wrong. My parents wouldn't break my legs. No way.

"It's the only way," she continues. "The Council won't help us. The Enforcer should only be here a few months. If we break Jak's legs and refuse a Jedi healer on the grounds our son has no Force so it isn't safe, he won't heal till the Enforcer is gone."

"We can't do that." The relief I feel at dad's words is overwhelming, until he adds, "Both legs would be suspicious. One leg is enough. A clean break that heals neatly."

"No, it has to be two," argues mom. "He'll still be partially mobile with one broken limb."

This can't be happening. Fighting off terror, I climb back up the stairs as slowly and silently as possible.

In my room, I try to think but it's hard, what with the panic. I know they didn't want me to be the Emissary, but this...

Should I text Joffa for help? He doesn't have much Force, though. Maybe he could get Damon to help me. But what if I don't have that much time?

I need to run. Chances of making it to the front door are slim. That only leaves the window. My window isn't barred. Only a crazy person would jump from the second story.

Turns out, I am that crazy person.

Pulling the sheets from my bed, I quickly tie them together. Is that how you do it? I've only read about this in books. Will the knots hold? Tying one sheet around a bed leg, I throw the other one out the window.

The sheet rope isn't anywhere near the ground. This is gonna hurt.

No matter what happens, I can't make a noise.

Climbing down is way harder than I imagined. My arm muscles are screaming. Why did I skip PE so much? I drop to the ground.

Pain. So much pain. For a second I think I've broken my leg which would be wildly funny. Maybe I'm in shock. My wrist hurts, and when I look at my hand, I see blood. I try to wipe it off but it only bleeds more, and stains my uniform. My face hurts too, where I banged my cheek into the ground.

Pulling myself to my feet, I limp through the gate.

Red. Have to see Red.

Walking to the hotel takes forever. Halfway there, my vision gets blurry. Worse, people give me weird looks. What if they call for help, and the Jedis that come take me back home?

"You are the Emissary, yes?" A kind face appears in my line of vision. An elderly lady in expensive fashion, who looks familiar. "Do you need help?"

"No, I'm good." The blatant lie sounds awkward. "I mean, I need to get to The Calm Oasis Hotel but I can't use any of my cards."

I wait for her to ask why, and I'm trying to think of a convincing lie when she says, "My driver is ahead. Let me give you a ride."

Relief makes me want to cry. Then I wonder if she hates me like most Jedis in the city at this point. I could get in the car, and never be seen again. On the other hand, I can't walk much further. "Okay. Thanks."

Super-expensive car. Definitely someone important. Leaning back, I try not to get blood on the upholstery.

After a few minutes, she says, "Do you know who I am?"

I shake my head, instantly regretting it. "Lady, if this is a kidnapping, it won't work. Red won't take a new Emissary. He's stubborn, and he'll get mad. If you kill me, he'll flip. Either way, not a win for you."

"So, you don't know who I am. You should know the puppet masters amongst the Jedi, both in the public eye and behind the scenes. I'll have my grandson teach you. I hear you and Damon are quite close."

That's why she looks familiar. I've seen her with Damon before. And in the press. Even my mom is wary of Damon's grandma. Total power player.

'Thank you," is all I can whisper. The urge to puke is real.

At the hotel, she surprises me by getting out of the car. "In case anyone gets any ideas."

At the sight of her, the doorman runs over, and soon we're in the foyer, waiting for Red to come down.

Too much light. I grip Damon's grandma's arm. I should have asked her name.

People stare and staff hover, but my eyes are locked on the elevators.

When Red appears looking half-asleep in jeans and a crumpled t-shirt, I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding.

At the sight of blood-covered me his face changes, and he crosses the foyer so fast I wonder if it's a Force thing.

"Jak, what happened?"

People nearby fall silent, waiting to hear what I say. I don't care. I've never been so happy to see someone in my entire life.

"My parents decided to break both my legs and refuse a Healer so I wouldn't be your Emissary."

The words sound worse out loud. Everyone watching seems to gasp in unison.

Except Red. He goes still in that scary way. "They did this?"

Before he can lose it, I say, "Oh, no. I escaped from my bedroom window. But it's on the second floor. I nearly broke my leg anyhow. Funny, right?"

And then I surprise myself by bursting into tears and hugging Red, holding on to the person I've somehow come to trust to keep me safe, before passing out.